Android 7.0 official update is now rolling out with the Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge devices. Check the guidelines in this article in order to learn how to successfully flash the new update manually using the Odin app.
This new update is being rolled out in stages and not everyone is getting the new firmware at the same time. In case the new firmware hasn’t been released in your region by Virgin Mobile USA, then you can try the ODIN 3.12.3 tool and the firmware files that you will find in this post.
The new firmware can be installed over custom ROMs with ODIN, as the app is capable of wiping data from your device’s system partition, and allowing the phone to boot in normal mode with the new official update.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge devices from Virgin Mobile USA.
- don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find below.
- download the Samsung usb drivers from here.
– install the usb drivers in order to make sure that your phone will be detected by the computer.
- for the updating process you will have to use the ODIN app, and for it to work with your PC you have to install the above usb drivers and enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
– the Developer Options might be hidden which is why you have to enable them first: go to Settings> About Device> Software Info and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- you can flash the new update over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access will not survive the update.
– any custom Recovery you might have installed will be replaced with stock Recovery.
- Android 7 official update can be flashed with ODIN over a custom ROM, but you have to Factory Reset the phone in the process.
– the Factory Reset process wipes clean system partition, and it will allow your phone to boot in normal mode.
– the Factory Reset steps can be found at the end of the tutorial, and you should be able to apply them only after the new firmware has been installed.
– the Factory Reset doesn’t remove any data from internal storage.
- if your Galaxy Note 5 runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post, no data will be lost from your phone.
- check the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- you should use the guide only if you are an advanced user.
– we cannot be held responsible in case you end up bricking your phone nor in case you lose any data files.
- verify your phone’s battery charge level, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the phone powers off.
Now that you know all of the above you can start the update.
If you do not wish to install the new update manually using the ODIN app, then you can always choose to wait until Samsung and Virgin Mobile push the new firmware over-the-air. You can also check for new firmware updates by going to Settings> Software Updates menu and look under Manual Software Download menu. If a new file is ready for download you simply need to confirm the process and your smartphone will take care of the rest of the process automatically.
How to update Galaxy S6 Edge Virgin Mobile USA to Android 7.0 Update:
- Download the Android 7 firmware archive file from here.
- When download is done you can unzip the contents. You will obtain the G925PVPU4DQC7 tar.md5 firmware update file that you have to load in ODIN.
– don’t unzip the tar.md5 firmware file.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
– unzip the file.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Open the ODIN exe on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy S6 Edge to PC via usb cable. Wait for your device to be detected by the PC.
– if the phone is not added in Odin, then you will need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Get to ODIN main screen and click AP
- Now, find and load the G925PVPU4DQC7 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- Confirm the flashing process by pressing the START button.
– don’t press any buttons until the new update files are done installing.
- After the installation is done you can see the PASS alert shown and you can reboot your device.
Note that the first boot will take a while to complete.
- Unplug the phone from PC and use your default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the new update. In case you need any extra help you can check the extra notes below or you can tell us in comments.
If the FAIL message is shown by ODIN, then you will have to repeat installation, but you have to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won’t skip any steps.
If PASS is displayed by ODIN, but your device enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you have to Factory Reset the device.
The Factory Reset is going to wipe clean the system partition, and it is a great thing for those that want to get rid of an old custom ROM and allow the Android 7.0 to boot successfully.
The Factory Reset doesn’t delete any data files from internal storage. Here’s how to factory reset your device:
- power it off.
- boot the device in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot your phone in normal mode.
I hope that you have managed to complete the new Android 7 installation update. Make sure to list in comments some of the coolest new features that have impressed you the most.
The Android 7.0 build is the first Nougat firmware that your phone will receive, and you should expect Samsung and Virgin Mobile USA to roll out the new Android 7.1 update in the coming months.