The OnePlus 3T just received a new OTA as the OxygenOS 4.0.2 firmware was officially released by OnePlus. So, that can mean only one thing: if you own the latest OnePlus 3T you should receive the new Android notification anytime now. However, if you know that your device can’t be installed with the OTA or if you are just tired of waiting for the OxygenOS 4.0.2 you can use the steps from this tutorial in order to learn how to manually flash the full firmware package on your device.
In fact during the lines from this guide you can learn how to perform two manual update operations: flashing the OTA built on your OnePlus 3T and installing the full firmware package on your smartphone. Both operations are official processes supported by your OEM and also by Google – that’s why you have nothing to worry about: the warranty of your device won’t get void and you don’t have to use third party apps for performing the lines from this tutorial.
The update is a small OS improvement that isn’t coming with new and important features, apps or capabilities. It is just a normal, regular update that is here to address the recent reported bugs and lags and to add a plus of security within the Android core system. Overall, the OxygenOS 4.0.2 is a stable and a smooth software that must be flashed if you want to enjoy the best Android experience that’s currently available for your OnePlus 3T.
But, as already pointed out, you will be able to get the OTA only if your phone is already running on stock and only if root access isn’t ensured. Otherwise you will have to perform the manual process, situation in which you will also manage to restore your phone back to stock – shortly, the root access will be revoked and all the factory and default restrictions will be re-installed on your handset.
If you are planning to complete one of the two update operations explained and detailed below, first backup your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, the EFS folder or the IMEI / NVRAM data – overall, secure your data or else you might end up in losing everything. So, use your OnePlus 3T built-in cloud storage services or use any other backup and restore solution (for example, sync your data with your account or go to Google Play and download backup and restore apps for your smartphone).
As you might know, a manual update operation can be successfully applied only in certain situations. So, here you have the pre requisites that must be considered before doing anything else:
- A computer or a notebook will have to be used – for downloading the files from below and also for completing some dedicated steps.
- Your OnePlus 3T and its USB cord is also required.
- On your phone the USB Debugging option must be checked – this option can be found within Developer Options. So, first ensure Developer Rights by: access “Menu -> Settings -> About Phone” and tap 7 times repeatedly on Built Number until you see the ‘you are a developer’ message displayed.
- On the computer you will use install the OnePlus 3T Drivers and then the Android SDK toolkit: install Android SDK on Windows or set up ADB on MAC OS / Linux.
- One last thing: charge your phone if the power is too low: usually, it is recommended to perform the charging process if the power left is lower than 50%.
- If your phone remains out of battery life it will get turned off. And if that happens during the OxygenOS 4.0.2 update operation software related problems might be caused on your OnePlus 3T.
Update OnePlus 3T with official OxygenOS 4.0.2
On your computer download the update file package you want to use:
Install the update from the SD card or from the internal storage memory
- Place the update file on desktop.
- Then, connect your phone with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Select the update package and copy-paste it to your phone’s SD card or to the root folder of the internal storage memory.
- Then, remove the USB cable and also power off your handset – then, just wait while the switch off process is completed.
- Good; reboot recovery mode on your OnePlus 3T.
- From recovery select Install from SD card or Install from Internal storage.
- Load the OxygenOS 4.0.2 file and flash it on your phone.
- When done, go back to main menu of recovery and select “Reboot system now”.
Use ADB Sideload method
- Download the software on your computer and place this file inside the ADB folder.
- Then, power on your smartphone and connect it with your computer, via USB cable.
- On your PC go to the ADB folder and just open a Command Prompt window – you can do that by pressing and holding the Shift keyboard key while right clicking on any blank space.
- Next, in the cmd window enter: “adb reboot recovery”.
- The recovery mode menu will be then displayed on your OnePlus 3T.
- From recovery you now need to select “ADB Sideload”.
- Afterwards, return to the cmd window, where enter: “adb sideload update filename” – just replace “update filename” with the actual update filename: for example enter “adb sideload update.zip”.
- Wait a few moments while the OxygenOS 4.0.2 firmware is installed.
- When done, from main menu of recovery select “Reboot system now”.
Perfect. You can now use the new OxygenOS 4.0.2 firmware on your own OnePlus 3T. Do tell us how things worked for you by using the comments field from down below. Of course, stay close for further tutorials and other dedicated Android tips and tricks available for your smartphone.