Is fastboot mode required on your Xiaomi Mi A2? If you need to use this Android mode on your device for being able to complete other operation, then you are in the right place. This is the step by step guide that will teach you everything about the fastboot mode and about the methods that can be used for reaching this environment on your very own Xiaomi Mi A2. Among the actual reboot steps that will be detailed we will also discuss about the reasons why fastboot mode might be required on your device, about the risks that might be involved in some situations and about the pre-requisites that should be first checked out.
So, this tutorial has it all – a detailed description about fastboot mode, the things that you have to do before reaching this environment and the actual steps that must be followed for rebooting your Xiaomi Mi A2 into fastboot mode.
Fastboot mode is a special environment into which your smartphone can be booted. When running in fastboot mode the Android UI cannot be used as these modes can run only independently. Anyhow, the fastboot (or bootloader) mode will put your Xiaomi Mi A2 into a state in which it can be further recognized by third party apps and programs. Basically, the internal Android system that powers your device can be accessed, modified and customized by other programs and software.
Therefore, from this mode you can obtain info about your phone’s hardware components, about its overall status and you can further access the Android system in order to complete additional operations. And, these operations are including both official and unofficial procedures including the following ones:
- You can manually install stock / official Android firmware – you can manually set up an Android update or the stock Android firmware only after your Xiaomi Mi A2 is booted into fastboot mode. The same mode will be needed if you will need to set up a custom recovery image.
- Also, other tweaks can be applied from the same mode: we’re discussing about processes such as unlocking the bootloader, or gaining root access.
- Software related problems can be fixed once fastboot mode is reached – you can restore your Xiaomi Mi A2 back to factory state (by downgrading the Android OS to a previous build version for example) in order to fix issues such as boot loops, lags, hangs, screen freeze, battery drain, heating problems, total blackouts and lot more else.
Booting your Xiaomi Mi A2 into fastboot mode can be done quickly but not through built-in settings. A special reboot sequence will have to be used and this process, as you will see below, can be done in three different ways. Either way, you have nothing to worry about as fastboot mode is pre-loaded on your device so reaching it represents a supported operation – you don’t have to use complex or risky programs and you won’t have to worry about losing your phone’s warranty while following the methods described during this tutorial.
A backup is recommended at this point – depending on the operation you have to complete from fastboot mode a wipe might happen. So, for avoiding any unpleasant situations and for protecting your personal data, info, accounts and files we recommend you a general backup procedure. On your Xiaomi Mi A2 you can already use built-in cloud storage services and additionally you can choose to sync files with your Google Account or to use dedicated and already tested backup and restore apps from Google Play. Of course, in this case the goal is to save the files that might be still required afterwards: contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and other stuffs that weren’t there from day one.
Finally, you only have to verify only one thing: the amount of power that’s left on your smartphone as it’s important to ensure at least 50% of battery power before completing the steps detailed below. Otherwise, your Xiaomi Mi A2 can get turned off in the middle of the reboot sequence and then you can end up in soft-bricking your Android based device. Bottom line, plug in the charger if that’s needed in order to avoid any possible unpleasant situations.
How to Reboot Fastboot Mode on Xiaomi Mi A2
Method 1 – use the classic method
- Begin by powering off your phone: press the Power key once and pick ‘power off’ or press and hold the Power button for a few moments until the power off process is completed.
- Next, press and also hold the Volume Down and Power keys.
- Keep holding down these buttons for a few moments as eventually the fastboot mode will be displayed.
Method 2 – do it from adb via cmd
If a computer is at your disposal and if you already plan to use Android SDK for completing a dedicated operation on your Xiaomi Mi A2, then you should choose this method. On your PC your phone’s drivers should be installed and the Android SDK set up: learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux. Also, on your smartphone enable Developer Options and the check the USB Debugging feature: go to About Phone and tap repeatedly on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message shows up and afterwards access Developer Options by going under Menu – > Settings. Finally, follow:
- On your computer access the Android SDK folder.
- From there choose to open a command prompt window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so right-click on any blank space; then from the list that is displayed choose ‘open command prompt window here’.
- Switch on your smartphone and connect it with your computer via USB cable.
- In the cmd window type ‘adb reboot fastboot’ and press Enter.
- That should be all; fastboot mode should be automatically booted on your Xiaomi Mi A2.
Method 3 – use a dedicated app from Google Play
You can use a dedicated app available on Google Play which can take you to fastboot mode without hassle. You can choose from different options, though be careful as some apps will require root enabled on your Xiaomi Mi A2. For example you can download and install the Quick Boot tool on your device. Run this app and just follow on-screen prompts in order to reach the desired mode.
So, the methods described above should show you how to enter fastboot mode on your Xiaomi Mi A2. Try these solutions and apply the one that you prefer the most and which best suits your situation. Also, share your experience with us and tell us if everything worked as explained and as you expected – you can get in touch with our team and with other Android users by using the comments field available below. For learning other basic Android operations compatible with your Xiaomi Mi A2 don’t hesitate and search through our ‘how to’ section. Also, stay close for tweaking possibilities and for other useful Android tricks and tips.