Even though the Huawei P9 Lite is a recent Android powered smartphone, third party devs already managed to customize the right tools in order to find the tweaking procedures through which you can now unlock your phone’s internal system. So, bottom line, you can now learn how to smartly use your P9 Lite and how to upgrade its performance by tweaking the Android core. In that respect today we will talk about the root operation.
Therefore if you choose to read and to apply this step by step guide you can learn the advantages and the down sides of gaining root access, you will see how to prepare your phone for the unlocking process and finally you will learn how to root the Huawei P9 Lite by following some intuitive tasks.
So right from the beginning you must know that gaining root access is a custom operation and not a default process. Ensuring root isn’t provided by Huawei and it isn’t supported by your OEM or by Google. This tutorial is therefore showing an unofficial operation through which you can customize, optimize and personalize your P9 Lite. However, during the same process you can also end up in bricking your handset – only if you don’t follow the guidelines from below.
As a general conclusion, resume the steps from this tutorial only if you know what you are doing – if you are a newbie maybe the best will be to skip this process. One last thing: since it isn’t an official operation by gaining root access you will lose your Huawei P9 Lite warranty. That will happen by default, so you have nothing to do in order to keep the warranty valid when gaining root access. What you can do is to learn how to manually unbrick the Huawei P9 Lite – if you manage to soft brick your phone you will have to address the problems manually: taking your device back to service will imply in paying for the technical assistance.
Well, these are the downsides which are related with the root process. But, as already pointed out there are advantages, some great ones by the way. In a few words you can “play” with the built-in settings however you want. Here are the main custom operations that can be performed on a rooted Huawei P9 Lite: you can replace default apps with custom ones even from other sources than Google Play, you can improve the performance by using a dedicated custom ROM firmware like CyanogenMod, AOKP or Paranoid Android, you can remove useless and battery demanding start-up programs and bloatware, you can overclock or undervolt the CPU frequencies and lot more.
Now that you know which the risks are and what you can obtain after applying the steps from below, it’s time to detail the root process. This operation will remove all the factory and default restrictions from your Huawei P9 Lite – when you first buy your smartphone it will be installed with various restrictions which will limit your access. Well, now you can get rid of all these annoying restrictions in order to gain full control over your phone’s Android system.
As mentioned applying root access can be safely completed only if you first take care of the essential pre requisites from down below:
- Backup your data – you should save your data before doing anything else; otherwise you can end up in losing your personal info, accounts, files and data.
- You can backup the Huawei P9 Lite easily by syncing what’s important with your own account, by downloading and using dedicated backup and restore tools from Google Play or you can use any other cloud storage platforms.
- If possible you can also backup the current Android OS that powers your P9 Lite – that operation can be applied by making a Nandroid backup.
- Unlock the bootloader of your Huawei P9 Lite.
- Install TWRP recovery on your smartphone.
- Use a computer – on the device that you are going to use install the P9 Lite USB drivers.
- Your handset and its USB cable must be near you.
- On your phone you have to gain developer options – tap on Menu, go to Settings and choose About Phone: next start tapping, 7 times, repeatedly in Built Number. In the end you will receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- Moreover, the USB Debugging option must be checked on your phone. This option can be found under “menu – settings – developer options”.
- Charge your Huawei P9 Lite before gaining root access. Do so or else your phone might get bricked – if it will get switched off in the middle of the unlock procedure.
- Do charge your smartphone especially if the battery power left is currently lower than 50%.
- Resume the lines from down below only if you own the Huawei P9 Lite; the root exploit from this guide won’t work properly on any other Android powered smartphone or computer.
How to Root the Huawei P9 Lite
- First of all, on your computer run a web browser client.
- Then, navigate towards this page and download the .zip file from there.
- Unzip this package on your desktop.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Then transfer the SuperSU file which is found in the unzipped folder on your device.
- When done, remove the USB cable as the computer is no longer useful.
- Power off your handset after completing the steps from above.
- Then, reboot recovery mode on your Android device.
- From recovery tap on Install and pick the SuperSU file.
- Swipe in order to resume the flashing process.
- In the end, from main menu of recovery tap on Reboot.
- If a boot loop will be issued, go to recovery once more and clear app data cache and make a hard reset – select “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
There you have it. After unlocking the bootloader and flashing TWRP recovery on your Huawei P9 Lite now you have successfully gained root access. Enjoy and let us know how things worked for you.