The Huawei P9 and its bigger brother, the P9 Plus can be now easily tweaked. The bootloader for these devices can be easily unlocked by using the official Huawei method and after doing so, everything else will be just at your disposal. However, if you need our assistance, you can easily follow this dedicated tutorial from where you can successfully learn how to install a custom recovery image and how to safely root your Huawei P9 and Huawei P9 Plus.
However, for being able to complete this tutorial first you will have to unlock the bootloader of your device – as previously mentioned during the introduction from above. Therefore, take your time and use our dedicated guide on how to unlock Huawei devices bootloader with ease.
Also, as already mentioned, during this tutorial you can learn how to perform two different operations: installing TWRP recovery and gaining root access for your Huawei P9 and Huawei P9 Plus. The reason why I show you how to flash the custom recovery image is because the same software will be afterwards required during the root process – thus, the operations are, in our case, interconnected.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery image based on CWM recovery and which comes with a touch based interface that can be easily used even by a newbie. The custom recovery will ensure a virtual connection between you and your phone’s Android system. So, through TWRP recovery you can initiate various tweaking operations among which we have the root process that is also explained during the lines from this step by step guide. Do note that TWRP recovery will replace the stock recovery and will extend the built-in settings of the same default recovery software.
The root operation will unlock the Android platform that runs by default on your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus. All the factory and default restrictions will be removed and you will therefore be able to customize, optimize and personalize your smartphone by your own taste and through different tweaking procedures – eventually you will succeed to bump the speeds and to upgrade the battery life not to mention the endless possibilities through which you can play with the Android core system in order to change the UI or to add / remove features, apps and capabilities.
All the operations mentioned during this tutorial (unlocking the bootloader, flashing TWRP recovery and gaining root access) aren’t official ones. You will lose your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus warranty if you decide to tweak the Android system that comes pre loaded on your smartphone. Thus is in fact the only major downside that’s related with the root aspect – losing the warranty will imply to assume some responsibility as dealing with issues will become your own problem since taking your smartphone back to service will imply paying for the technical assistance.
As usual, when being ready to complete an unofficial operation, before doing anything else you should secure your personal info, data, accounts and files. I am talking about a backup process through which you should save your contacts list, the call logs, the text messages, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, the IMEI / NVRAM data, the saved passwords and anything else that might be used afterwards – you can do so by using classic backup and restore methods: using Huawei’s own cloud storage services, syncing the data with the Google account or using dedicated apps from Google Play.
Other essential, though general, pre requisites are referring to:
- A computer, which must be used during the steps from below.
- Install the Huawei P9 / P9 Plus Drivers on this computer.
- Install Android SDK on your computer – for the Windows platform use this tutorial; for MAC OS X / Linux use this step by step guide.
- On your phone enable Developer Rights: tap on Menu, select Settings and access About Phone; now tap repeatedly on Built Number until you see the ‘you are a developer’ message displayed.
- On your device now access the Developer Options (located under “Menu -> Settings”) and check the USB Debugging field.
- Charge your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus if the power left is lower than 50%. The process from below is battery demanding so if the power is too low your device might just get turned off while you try to ensure the root access.
- If a sudden switch off occurs chances are you end up in soft bricking your smartphone – various issues might be caused right in the middle of the Android core system.
- Use this step by step guide only if you have to Huawei P9 or the Huawei P9 Plus and only after unlocking the bootloader of your smartphone.
How to Easily Root the Huawei P9 / P9 Plus
Flash a custom recovery image
You can gain root access only if a custom recovery image, in our case TWRP recovery, can be used; here is how you can successfully complete this additional operation:
- On your computer download the TWRP recovery file – for the Huawei P9 get the file from here and for the P9 Plus go here instead.
- Save this file on desktop and rename it into “twrp.img”.
- Power on your phone and when done connect it with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- On your computer open a cmd window: hold down Shift while right clicking on any blank space.
- In the cmd window type: “adb reboot bootloader” – your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus will be automatically rebooted into bootloader mode.
- Next, in the same cmd widnow type: “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img”.
- The custom recovery image should now be automatically flashed.
- When done, in the cmd window type “fastboot reboot”.
Gain Root Access
- Download the root exploit for your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus from here.
- Place this package on desktop.
- Next, once more, connect your phone with your computer via USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded root package from desktop to your phone and then remove the USB cord – the computer is no longer required by the way.
- You now need to switch off your Huawei branded device – also, wait while the shut down process is completed.
- Good; now enter recovery mode on your Android device.
- From the recovery mode menu tap on Install. Then load the root package.
- Swipe in order to begin the flashing process.
- When that’s done, go back to main menu of recovery and tap on Reboot.
- If a boot loop is caused return to recovery and chose to make a wipe (usually a hard reset and clearing app data cache is implied) – just select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
Good work. Now your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus is rooted, installed with TWRP recovery and running on an unlocked bootloader. So, you should now be able to easily tweak your smartphone by choosing other additional operations such as: replacing the stock Android OS with a custom ROM, removing bloatware and start-up programs, adding a custom kernel, overclocking or undervolting CPU frequencies and so on.