Any Android smartphone or tablet can be easily customized and optimized by completing a series of custom operations. Among these procedures, maybe the most important step to complete is to gain root access as in this way you can unlock the internal system of you device. Due to same reasons, if you own the Motorola Moto E, maybe you will want to take full advantage of its capabilities and why not, maybe you will want to improve its performances. In that matter, during the guidelines from below I will be showing you how to easily and safely root your Moto E.
Even though Motorola just released the Moto E, thanks to those of xda-developers we can now root your Android phone with ease. Moto E is a mid range device that comes with decent performances and it is offered on an affordable price tag, so there will be many users who will consider in buying the same. Now, if you own the Moto E but you want to improve its performances, or if you want to customize and optimize its Android OS, completing this root procedure is a must.
Gaining root access represents an unofficial operation that has nothing to do with Motorola or with Google. By rooting your Moto E you will gain access to the internal system of your smartphone and you will then be able to perform other custom operations on your device, such as install custom apps that requires root access in order to run properly, remove bloatware and in built programs, add new features, change the looks of your phone, install a custom kernel, overclock the CPU, update with a custom ROM firmware, improve the battery life, bump the speeds and lot more.
Since the root procedure isn’t official, by completing the same you will void the warranty of your Motorola Moto E. Unfortunately this aspect can’t be avoided, so if you are a newbie and you think that you might end up in bricking your handset (everything will be fine if you follow this tutorial) maybe the best will be to stop going any further. Anyway, you should also know that the warranty can be afterwards restored by revoking root access, or by re-flashing the stock Android OS on your phone – manually as on a rooted system you can’t receive OTA roll outs.
So, if you have decided to root your Moto E, first of all take a look over the following list; there I have detailed the pre requisites tasks that must be performed before going any further or before applying the proper root operation – don’t skip this section as it is the most relevant one.
- Unlock the bootloader of your Motorola Moto E; you will not be able to complete this step by step guide unless you previously unlock the bootloader of your Android smartphone so apply this step first.
- Install TWRP recovery on Moto E; similar with unlocking the bootloader, gaining root access can’t be achieved unless a custom recovery image is being flashed on your device so take care of the same.
- Backup your data, especially the data which is saved on your phone’s internal storage memory – while trying to root your handset, your data might get wiped out or corrupted and you might end up in losing everything that’s important for you.
- At least save your contacts, text messages, call logs, market apps, internet settings, personal info, data and accounts and the current ROM by making a Nandroid backup.
- A computer is being required and your Moto E and its USB cord must be near you as you will have to connect your devices at some point.
- On your computer you should temporarily disable the antivirus and antimalware programs as the security protection might interfere with our work.
- Then, on your phone you should head towards “menu – settings – developer options” in order to enable the USB debugging option” – else you won’t be able to properly connect your device with your computer.
- You should charge your Moto E especially if the battery power is less than 60% - if your handset gets turned off in the middle of the root operation, it might also get damages or even soft bricked.
- This step by step guide, which is a root procedure, is compatible only with the Motorola Moto E, which means that you shouldn’t use the guidelines from below in case you own a different or similar Android smartphone or tablet.
How to Root Motorola Moto E
- From here download the SuperSU app file.
- Place this file on your computer, preferable on desktop – don’t unzip it.
- Then connect your Moto E with your PC by plugging in the USB cord.
- Up next, transfer the root file from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord and turn off your device.
- Enter recovery mode on your Motorola Moto E.
- Then from recovery select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the root file which you have downloaded before and flash the same on your Moto E.
- Wait while the installation procedure is being completed.
- In the end select “reboot system now” and you are done.
- In case you are experiencing issues with your phone, return to recovery and select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”. In the end, return to main menu of recovery and pick “reboot system now” – that should resolve all of your problems.
Congratulations, you have successfully learned how to root your Motorola Moto E. Since a custom recovery image is also installed on your phone, now you can easily update your smartphone with a custom ROM firmware such as CM11, AOKP or ParanoidAndroid – stay close as we will develop compatible step by step guides during the following days.