The Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos users can now be enthusiastic as during the following tutorial I will show them how to manually root their Android based smartphone. I know that the phone it’s not a high end one, but starting with this operation you will be able to improve and power up its performances. This is the first step to do if you want to obtain more from your device, or if you want to see what it is really capable of. The root access can be achieved easily, all you have to do is to follow the steps from this how to guide.
The Galaxy Y Pro Duos was released this year, in January. Its specs are including a 2.6 inches TFT capacitive touchscreen, 384 MB of RAM memory, a 3.15 MP rear facing camera with a VGA front facing one, an 832 MHz processor and the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) operating system. Beside these, the phone is featuring a useful QWERTY keyboard, which is perfect for typing messages, chatting, or sending emails. As you can see it is a low range device, with decent specs, but as already stated, you can power up these performances by learning how to root it.
You must root the Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos if you want to unchain it from the factory restrictions, customize and optimize its internal system, install a custom recovery image, or flashing a custom ROM in its system. Also, root access is required each time you want to update the operating system and with the numerous versions of the Ice Cream Sandwich “walking” around, you must complete this. The advantages and the benefits that come with a rooted device are many; you will discover them by yourselves.
But, as always, there are also some negative aspects you must take in consider before starting the proper operation. First of all, and the most important thing, is referring to the warranty of your phone. If you decide to root the Galaxy Y Pro Duos, you will lose the Samsung warranty. This means that if somehow, something will go wrong, or if you will wreck your handset, nobody will help you. You will be on your own. So if you don’t feel comfortable with this, you should probably stop here.
Anyway, remember that you must gain root access if you want to make further OS updates on your phone. As you will see, the process will only take a couple of minutes, so you don't have to spend much time with this. First, you can take a short look over the whole operation and only after this decide if or not you can handle the root procedure.
Now, in order to succeed, you need to have access to a Windows / Linux / MAC computer, to the phone and to its USB cord. The PC and the phone must be prepared before starting. Just follow:
- The root procedure will wipe the data out from the handset. The easiest way to avoid this is by making a backup. It's your decision, but remember that you can lose all the apps and the data stored on the internal memory, or on the phone's SD card.
- The battery power should be enough in order to keep your device alive during the operation. There should be around 70% power left.
- Deactivate any security tools located on your computer or on your device.
- Enable the USB Debugging from the Pro Duos. If you don’t know how, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
That being said, you can now precede to the next section of this guide, the one that interest you the most; be careful, read and do all as showed.
How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos
- The first thing to do is to get the proper files. So, download the Galaxy Y Pro Duos Rooting Package from here, and place it to your computer.
- Connect the phone with the PC by using its USB cord.
- Place the file downloaded in step 1 in the phone SD card.
- Turn off the device.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode. This can be achieved by holding (simultaneously) the Home button and then the Power button.
- In the recovery mode menu you have to select “install zip from sd card” and then “choose zip from sd card”. The file should be there, just pick it.
- Then, select “+++go back++”.
- You will be back in the recovery menu. Here, choose “Wipe data/factory reset” (this is why you need to do a backup) followed by “Wipe Cache partition” (this will erase the cache from your phone).
In the end share your impressions with us. If there are problems we will do everything we can in order to help you out.