The Mi 8 Lite is not quite the best Android based device released by Xiaomi. However, it looks nice and it offers decent though mid-range performance and everything without having to spend all your money. Anyhow, if you do own the Mi 8 Lite and you want to obtain more power and better overall results from your phone, now you can choose to ensure root access. We will further detail the root operation that is now available for the Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite during the following guidelines so don’t hesitate and check it all out.
The root access will help you full control over the Android UI. Thus, you can now succesfully remove the factory restrictions that runs by default and which were there to limit your access towards the internal system that powers your smartphone. An unlocked Android OS means endless tweaking possibilities and great customization and optimization options, meaning that you can finally unleash your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite true potential in terms of speed, performance and battery life.
Yes, that’s right; once root is enabled you can improve your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite performance by performing further custom operations through which you can choose how to modify built-in features, apps and capabilities. And, in that respect here are a few examples of tweaks that can be applied on a rooted system: you can get rid of bloatware and remove certain start-up programs; you can choose to install custom features that cannot be found on the stock Android OS; you can download and install apps from other sources than Google Play; you can set up custom ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android; you can flash custom MODs and kernels; you can overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies and so on.
But removing factory restrictions isn’t a process supported by your OEM or by Google. In that respect one thing should be clear for you: by choosing to gain root access you will lose your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite warranty. Unfortunately the only way in which you can restore the warranty flag is by reinstalling the stock Android OS situation during which you will also revoke root access and restore your device back to its default state.
You should also backup your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite before doing anything else because during the root process some of your personal data, info, accounts and files might get corrupted or even a full wipe might be initiated. Thus, it’s recommended to be precautious and secure everything before going any further. In that matter, you should start using Xiaomi’s built-in cloud storage services for saving contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and other files that might be still required afterwards. Note: the backup can be also completed by syncing files with your Google Account or by using dedicated backup and restore apps available on Google Play.
Perfect; now, just before heading towards the root steps from below check the essential pre-requisites list that’s detailed during the next list of tasks:
- You can root your device by using this tutorial only if a custom recovery image can be used. Therefore, before doing anything else choose to install TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite.
- A computer must be used – don’t worry, you don’t have to install risky or complex programs as on your computer you only have to download the root exploit which then will be flashed on your Mi 8 Lite from TWRP recovery.
- So, your smartphone and its USB cable are required too.
- On your handset the USB Debugging option must be enabled; you can do it from Menu – > Settings – > Developer Options.
- For being able to access Developer Options you will first have to go to About Phone and tap repeatedly, for 7 or 10 times, on Built Number – tap just until the ‘you are a developer’ message appears.
- Make sure that your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite runs on at least 50% power; if not, plug in the charger before starting the root process – if a sudden shut down happens different malfunctions can be caused and you can end up in soft-bricking your Android device.
- Remember that this step by step guide is only compatible with the Mi 8 Lite. So, don’t use the next steps if you own a similar or a different Android powered smartphone or tablet.
How to Gain Root Access on Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
- You first have to download the root exploit that will be used below.
- So, swith on your computer and on desktop save the root package – you can download this file from here.
- Now, power on your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite and connect it with your computer via USB cable.
- From desktop transfer the root package and place it on your smartphone; when done, disconnect your devices.
- Power off your Android device and reboot its system into recovery mode.
- From TWRP recovery tap on Install and load the Magisk package.
- Swipe and confirm; the flashing process should automatically start.
- When it’s done, reboot to Android Mod.
- Hint: if during the last reboot your handset gets stuck in a boot loop return to recovery and choose to make a hard reset and to clear app data cache – just pick ‘wipe data factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ and by ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
Congratulations; root access is now enabled on your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite. Don’t forget that you can anytime check the root status on your smartphone by using the Root Checker app that’s available on Google Play.
So, tell us everything about the root operation and how everything went for you and for your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite – you can quickly get in touch with us by using the comments field from below. If you encountered problems try to describe the errors or the issues and we will then try to assist you as soon as possible.
Also, stay close for further tweaking opportunities compatible with your Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite and check our ‘how to’ section for more tutorials, step by step guides and useful Android related tips and tricks. Enhoy.