If you really want to get the best out of your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro then you must root the Android OS that runs by default on your smartphone. And, this is going to be a process that requires your attention not because is complex but because it’s not supported by your OEM. In that respect we are going to detail this subject during the following lines and in the end we are going to detail and explain the actual steps that must be followed for successfully rooting the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Shortly, by reviewing the lines from this step by step guide you can learn when the root access is required, why it should be ensured in the first place, the risks that are implied, the essential pre-requisites that must be first performed and, of course, the rooting steps compatible with your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Gaining root access implies in unlocking the Android OS. In a few words, once this guide is applied you will get rid of factory / default restrictions meaning that you will be able to tweak your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro in order to bump speeds, upgrade battery life, or personalize the overall Android experience. Thus, a rooted device is a device that can be customized and optimized easily through other dedicated custom operations.
Such custom operations might imply: removing bloatware, adding custom kernels, installing custom MODs, flashing custom ROMs (like Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android), overclocking CPU frequencies, installing app that aren’t available on Google Play and so much more.
Now, rooting your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro is not an official process. The root exploit which will be used is developed by third party devs so it cannot be associated with your OEM or with Google. That’s why the warranty of your phone will be lost once you start the steps explained below. Note: the warranty can be restored but only if you choose to revoke root access and that can be done by reinstalling the stock Android firmware.
Moreover, a backup should be first completed as otherwise you can end up in losing personal files and mainly the data which wasn’t pre-loaded on your phone – the contact list, text messages, call logs, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings and other similar packages (including IMEI / NVRAM data or EFS folder). On your handset the backup can be applied from built-in cloud storage apps, by syncing files with your Google Account or by using other similar backup and restore tools available on Google Play.
A Nandroid backup is also a good idea – that particular backup operation can help you secure the Android OS that runs on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro. So, if something will go wrong while you try to gain root access, you can then use the Nandroid backup package for restoring the stock Android OS.
You can apply this guide only if a custom recovery image can be used. That’s why it’s more than important to learn how to install TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro before starting anything else.
Afterwards, do review the essential pre-requisites list mentioned below:
- You must use a computer since this is going to be a manual operation.
- On your smartphone you must enable Developer Options and check the USB Debugging feature.
- For enabling Developer Options: tap repeatedly on Built Number until you are prompted with the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- The USB Debugging feature can be found under ‘menu – > settings – > developer options’.
- A connecting between your handset and your computer will be needed; so the USB cord should be there too.
- Charge your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro if it’s power is currently lower than 50% – in that particular case your device can get switched off during the root process and different malfunctions can be caused.
- Apply the steps explained below only if you own the already mentioned phone. This tutorial is, of course, compatible only with the Redmi Note 5 Pro, so be careful and try not to mess things up.
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Power on your computer and switch on your phone.
- On your computer download the root exploit from here and save this file on desktop.
- Next, connect your handset with your computer via USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded root file on your smartphone and when done remove the USB cable.
- Switch off your Note 5 Pro, wait a few moments and afterwards enter recovery mode on your Android device.
- From TWRP recovery tap on Install and then load the root file.
- Swipe and wait while the flashing process is being completed.
- When done, from main menu of recovery choose ‘reboot system now’.
- If a boot loop happens, return to recovery mode and choose to make a hard reset and to clear app data cache by choosing ‘wipe data factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’.
Good; now root access should be ensured on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro – you can verify if everything worked as expected by downloading and running the Root Checker app available on Google Play. Also, don’t forget to share your experience with us – you can tell us how the root process worked for you by using the comments field from below. If you had problems, based on what you share with us, we will try to find the right troubleshooting solutions in the shortest time possible. Enjoy and stay close for further tutorials and other useful Android related tips and tricks.