This tutorial contains all the instructions that you need in order to unlock the bootloader of your AT&T variant of LG Optimus G. The tools have been posted to XDA forums and the whole project's name is FreeGee and you should read the entire post and only when you're sure that you can complete all steps successfully, that's when you should begin the unlock process.
To be sure that you apply all the steps correctly, read the preparation guidelines and make sure that you've correctly set up your computer to complete all the actions. Here's what you need to know:
- Use this guide only with the AT&T variant of LG Optimus G model number E970. If you're currently on another device then you should skip these steps and do not attempt to flash the unlocking files. It will not work with the International variant of Optimus G.
- Do not install any OTA updates after applying the steps listed in this post.
- Unlock the bootloader of your phone before installing any new applications or files.
- Enable the USB Debugging option for your phone from its Developer Options menu.
- Charge the phone's battery so that it won't power off while you're trying to unlock the bootrom.
- Your device should already be rooted.
- Install the LG USB Drivers for your Optimus G from here. This will make sure that your phone will be recognized by the computer.
- Disable all antivirus and security programs that are running on your PC, so that no other app will interfere with the bootloader unlocking process.
- After you flash all files you will be able to install custom ROMs, kernels and multiple other customization files.
- Currently, you cannot use any tool to re-lock the bootloader. This means that by unlocking bootloader you will void the warranty of your smartphone.
- You can't blame us in case something goes wrong and you can't use your phone after applying the steps listed in the tutorial.
- Make sure that you don't skip any instructions I've listed. If you're having troubles in completing this guide, then you should ask for more help in comments.
That's all the extra info you needed before moving to the next part of this article. If you're having problems with the installation of the bootrom unlocking files, then you should tell us in comments and we will try to offer you a new solution.
How to unlock the AT&T LG Optimus G Bootloader using Project FreeGee:
- Download the Project FreeGee utility from here or directly from the developers' XDA thread here.
- Extract the zip files and place them in a folder on your PC desktop screen.
- Use the USB cable to connect your smartphone with your PC and wait until the USB drivers are all installed. Your phone screen should be enabled and unlocked, now move to the next step.
- Open the folder created at step 2 and launch the 'FreeGee.bat' file and then follow the on-screen instructions. NOTE: Do not run this file with administrator rights.
- After the unlocking process is finished you need to check the 'FreeGee' folder and in it you should have a 'backups' folder. If it doesn't appear then you shouldn't reboot your device.
- Check the output for any errors and in case you don't see the following errors, then the unlock has been successful: adb.exe not found or tar:invalid magic.
- These were all the steps you had to take and unlock your device's bootloader.
In case you didn't manage to flash the files, then you should ask for more help in comments. Note that even if you see the 'Congratulions you're unlocked' message, you cannot be sure that the unlock has been successfully. If you don't see the errors listed at step 6 then the guide was completed successfully.
Now, if you want to navigate through the Bootloader Mode, you should know that this menu cannot be displayed and you will be forced to use an alternate method, a 'blind' one. Here's how to navigate in Bootloader Mode and what functions it contains within its menu:
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold 'Power' and 'Volume up' buttons. After that you should navigate using the Volume Buttons to scroll up and down. The Power button select the option you would like to run.
- There are 4 different options in the Bootloader Mode:
- START - this one is the default selection for you to boot normally your device.
- Restart Bootloader - this is the second option listed and you simply need to press once on Volume Down and then Power to launch it, after Bootloader Mode loads.
- Recovery Mode - Press twice the Volume down button to select it and Power to confirm that you want to boot your device into Custom Recovery mode. This is the option you'll use to flash Custom ROMs and any other files that you want to use to customize your device.
- Power OFF - This is the 4th option and you have to press Volume Down three times and then Power button to switch off the device using Bootloader Mode.
- That's how you will browse through your Bootloader Mode for Optimus G AT&T.
These were all the instructions you had to read. Note that this is not a final Bootloader Unlocking guide, as we will post a new and final one with 100% functionality when it will be available.