As you may know, the Google Nexus 5 comes with a locked bootloader. Use this post if you want to learn how to successfully unlock the bootloader of your device without bricking it.
Unlocking your Nexus 5 is easy, but you need to know that all data will be completely wiped from your phone. Even the internal storage will be deleted. By Unlocking the Nexus 5 bootloader you will open your device to tons of new possibilities, such as rooting its firmware and installing new custom Recoveries, custom ROMs, kernels and other customization files.
Before starting the 'bootloader unlock' process, read the guidelines below:
- use this post only for the Google Nexus 5 device.
- after you unlock the bootloader, your device will be completely wiped.
- backup all your important files before you get to the next part of this post.
- the Nexus 5 warranty may be revoked after completing the tutorial.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu:
- go to Settings, open About Phone section and then tap seven times on 'Build Number' to unlock Developer Options.
- make sure that the Google Nexus 5 USB Drivers are installed on your computer.
- this will help the PC recognize your Nexus 5 phone.
- disable any antivirus apps that are running on your pc.
- check the phone's battery power and make sure that it is over 50%.
- if you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
There are two different guides listed below, one will teach you how to unlock bootloader using the ONE-CLICK script, while the other one requires you to manually complete the process.
I. How to Unlock Nexus 5 Bootloader via One-Click Script:
Remember that this guide will wipe every single data file from your device.
- Download the Bootloader Unlocking Files.zip from here.
- Extract the archived contents from the zip.
- save the folder on your PC.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer via USB data cable.
- if the phone asks you to allow USB Debugging, then you have to click YES.
- Go to folder created in step 2.
- Find the '1-click-nexus-5-bootloader-unlock.bat' file and launch it.
- if the script freezes, then you will have to re-install the USB Drivers for Nexus 5 and then repeat the entire tutorial.
- Soon, the process will begin. Confirm that you want to apply Bootloader Unlock.
That's the last step you had to take in order to unlock the Nexus 5 bootloader with this custom one-click script.
If this method doesn't work for you, then you can also try to apply the instructions listed below in the manual guide.
II. How to manually Unlock Nexus 5 Bootloader:
- Power off your phone now completely.
- Boot it in bootloader mode:
- it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons, all at the same time until the Bootloader Menu appears.
- Go to the folder created in step I.2 (the one listed in the first tutorial).
- Press and hold Shift on your keyboard, then right-click the empty folder space. Select 'open command prompt window here' option.
- Connect the Nexus 5 with your PC via USB cable.
- Enter the following command in the Windows Command Prompt window: fastboot devices
- this command will detect your phone and then you can continue to the next step.
- if the Nexus 5 is not recognized by your PC, then you will need to re-install phone's USB Drivers.
- Unlock the bootloader by entering this particular command: fasboot oem unlock
- Confirm that you want to apply the unlock.
That's it, these were all the steps you had to take in order to unlock the Google Nexus 5 bootloader. If you cannot complete the tutorials above, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Remember that we cannot be blamed in case you lock / brick your device temporarily during the process. Also, we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any data files in the process.