Unlocking the bootloader of your HTC One M8 is an easy task to apply and you should read this tutorial in order to learn how to do it.
If you unlock the bootloader you will get the chance to root and install custom recoveries and custom ROMs.
HTC One M8 is a great device and before getting to the tutorial you should know the following: the entire device will be wiped in the process and you will lose all data stored on it, the warranty will be voided, you should create backups for the most important files.
There are no other major changes to be applied after using the tutorial, make sure that you know what you're doing. Do not use this post in case you're a beginner, as you risk bricking the smartphone.
If you want to backup data from installed applications, SMS or other similar files then you should use Helium tool and its cloud storage to save the most important files. Helium can be downloaded from here. Also, make sure to sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
After unlocking the bootloader your device will continue to receive new official software updates, but it is not recommended to accept the installation process, as that might brick the device. Make sure that the phone's battery has at least 40% charge left before it switches off completely.
Use this tutorial only with the HTC One M8 model.
There are two methods that you can use to unlock the bootloader of your HTC One M8, one that uses Hasson All-in-One Toolkit and the other one which uses the HTC Dev Website.
How to Unlock HTC One M8 Bootloader using Hasson AIO Toolkit
Features of Hasoon AIO tool: it can be used to install USB Drivers, enter Bootloader mode, get Token ID, register at HDCDev, install recoveries such as TWRP, kernels, boot into Recovery Mode, Bootloader mode, flash RUU zip files, Relock Bootloader from Fastboot Mode, APK Batch Installer, and more.
How to get Hasoon's All-in-One Toolkit for HTC One M8:
Download it from here.
Extract the contents and don't rename the newly cerated folder.
Launch the Hasoon executable and then the application will guide through
If you don't trust this tool, then you should try the second guide below.
How to Unlock the HTC One M8 Bootloader
- Download Fastboot zip from here.
- Extract the contents of this zip and save them all to a folder on your desktop.
- Create an HTC account on the HTCDev website here.
- Verify your e-mail address after you create the account.
- Log into your new HTC Dev account here.
- Click the Unlock Bootloader button and then click on 'Get Started'.
- the unlock bootloader process will begin now.
- Make sure that your HTC One M8 is disconnected from your PC. After this you need to enter Fastboot Mode.
- do it by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power simultaneously. The LOCKED text should appear soon after that and you can release the buttons.
- Select FASTBOOT and press Power button to boot it.
- Connect the HTC One M8 to your computer using the USB cable. You should see the FASTBOOT USB text on your phone's screen./
- Go to folder created in step 2 and open a command prompt window right there.
- it can be done by pressing and holding Shift + Right-click on an empty folder space, then you need to select 'open command window here' from the right-click context menu.
- Now, in the command prompt you need to enter the following command line: fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- now you should copy the token text listed between "Identifier Token Start" and "Identifier Token End".
- Next, go to this website here.
- Go to My Device Identifier Token and paste the Token text you copied above.
- Click Submit.
- If everything went according to plan you should get an e-mail from HTC Dev with the 'Unlock_code.bin' file. Download the attached bin file and copy it in the Fastboot folder.
- Now you can close the Command Prompt window.
- Open again the Command Window just like you did in step 10.
- Enter the following command line: fastboot flash unlocktocken Unlock_Code.bin
- The smartphone will boot now and show the Unlock Bootloader screen. Use the Volume Up button to select YES. Press Power to confirm the process.
- Now the HTC One M8 will restart and unlock its bootloader.
Disconnect the phone from PC when the device boots up successfully.
Verify that the HTC One M8 device now packs an unlocked bootloader by booting in Fastboot Mode, it should show the 'UNLOCKED' text at the top of the screen.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully unlock your phone's bootloader. If you cannot complete the guide at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial more than once. For any other help use the comments field below.