Huawei P9 Lite is one of the best alternatives for those who are looking in purchasing something different, something that’s not that “usual” on the market, like the new Galaxy S lineup. Also, the P9 Lite is a cheaper alternative though which you can still get the latest Android M features, apps and capabilities as Huawei equipped this device only with high end hardware components. So, your new phone can provide enough power and performance to complete even the most demanding task.
But, what would you say if I would tell you that the default performance can be improved? Of course, who can say no to ‘more’? Well, in that respect you should know that upgrading your Huawei P9 Lite is possible and only by performing a few optimization procedures inside the Android core. And the first thing to do when trying to tweak your Android based handset is to unlock its bootloader. Thus, that’s exactly what we will be checking during the guidelines from down below: how to unlock the Huawei P9 Lite bootloader.
The bootloader is a program that is installed on all the Android powered devices. In fact, a similar program is running on your Windows based computer and notebook. It is the program that is loaded each time you power on / off / reboot your machine. This program will load the OS and other essential start-up programs from the ROM memory into the RAM memory. So, the bootloader is there by default and you cannot use your Huawei P9 Lite without it.
Also by default this small start-up program is pre-loaded with different restrictions. These restrictions won’t let you customize and optimize the internal system of your Huawei P9 Lite. So, it’s your job to unlock it if you want to become an advanced Android user and if you want to tweak your phone. Basically, unlocking the bootloader is the first step to make before applying other custom operations on your Huawei P9 Lite.
Here are a few examples of custom procedures that can be performed once you unlock your P9 Lite bootloader: installing TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery image, gaining root access, flashing a custom kernel, updating with Android based custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, AOKP or Paranoid Android, making Nandroid backups, installing complex apps from other sources than Google Play, overclock your P9 Lite and so much more.
Since the restrictions are there by default, unlocking the bootloader is not an official operation – however, as you will notice, Huawei is supporting this process. Anyway, what you need to keep in mind is that you will lose your Huawei P9 Lite warranty if you will choose to resume the guidelines from this tutorial. Unfortunately that means only one thing: learn how to manually unbrick your Android device or else be prepared to pay for the technical assistance – even when taking your smartphone back to service.
Backup your data – while unlocking the bootloader the data which is stored on your Huawei P9 Lite might get corrupted or even wiped out. Therefore, take your time, use your favorite backup and restore tools and devices and save everything that you might use afterwards: personal data, info, accounts and files.
Take your notebook or your computer and install the Huawei P9 Lite USB drivers – of course, a computer is required for this operation which can be completed only in a manual matter. On your phone you must operate as a developer – you can become one by taping 7 times, repeatedly, on Built Number, under “menu – settings – about phone”. Afterwards, from “menu – settings – developer options” find and check the USB Debugging option. From the same path also check the OEM Unlock feature – otherwise you cannot apply the steps from down below.
You should start the unlock operation from below only after checking the battery status that’s displayed on your P9 Lite. If the power left is currently lower than 50% you shouldn’t do anything else before plugging in the charger. If the charging process is skipped you can end up in soft bricking your phone – that can happen only if your smartphone gets turned off while you try to unlock its bootloader, so be careful and don’t mess things up in any matter.
How to Unlock the Huawei P9 Lite Bootloader
- From this page download this .zip file.
- Unzip the package on your computer, preferable on desktop.
- Then, access this page.
- Read the alert and agree with the prompted message.
- Then, use on screen prompts in order to create a new profile – if you already have a valid account, skip this step.
- Fill up the form in order to ask for the unlock code.
- Don’t worry, the same code should be emailed within seconds and not in days as mentioned there.
- Note down this code.
- Connect your Huawei P9 Lite with your computer; use the USB cable in that respect.
- Now, access the folder which you have unzipped on desktop later; from there run the maf32.exe executable file.
- In the cmd window that will be displayed enter “adb devices” – your Huawei P9 Lite should be listed there; if not, reinstall its USB drivers and repeat the steps from above.
- In the same cmd window type “adb reboot bootloder” – your smartphone will now be automatically rebooted into bootloader mode.
- Finally, unlock the bootloader by executing “fastboot oem unlock xxxxxxxxxxxxx” – replace the ‘xxx’ sequence with your code.
- That’s it; when done, unplug the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.
Perfect. You have successfully unlocked your Huawei P9 Lite bootloader. Enjoy and stay close for further tweaking procedures available for your device.