The AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 can be anytime updated to stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OS. The carrier already rolled out the OTA UCUGOC3 firmware, which means that you should receive the notification on your own device (you can also check for the OTA from “menu – settings – about phone – software updates”). If you haven’t, or if you can’t get the official OTA release, don’t panic and just use the steps from below for manually installing the new Lollipop 5.0.1 UCUGOC3 firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I337.
Usually, the OTAs are being offered gradually, thus not all the AT&T Galaxy S4 users will receive their Lollipop UCUGOC3 notification at the same time. Moreover, an official Android update can be OTA received and applied only in certain conditions: the phone must run on stock software and the device shouldn’t be rooted or updated with a custom ROM. In other situations, you will have to manually flash the Lollipop OS by using Odin – a dedicated program developed by Samsung and usually used on update types of operations, or by using the stock recovery image.
As you can see, the manual installation process will imply in using Odin, an official tool, or in our case the stock recovery image that runs by default on your SGS4. Moreover, the proper update operation will be official which means that you have nothing to worry about – you will not lose the Galaxy S4 warranty by choosing to manually flash the UCUGOC3 Android 5.0.1 Lollipop ROM. Moreover, the steps from below can be easily completed even by a newbie or by a user who is on his first update experience.
However, do keep in mind that you are manually installing an Android update. Well, during that operation you can also experience unpleasant situations. For example Odin can get stuck or your phone can be placed into a boot loop – you can learn how to resolve these problems by following the guidelines from the end of this tutorial. So, because of that, you should now backup your data. You should just use cloud storage platforms or backup and restore apps from Google Play in order to save everything that you might use afterwards – including EFS folder, market apps, internet settings, contacts, call logs, text messages and so on.
Using this guide has also another purpose beside the classic update one. You can use the steps from below for manually fixing software related issues or for revoking root access. Since by installing official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop UCUGOC3 OS on your AT&T Galaxy S4 you will also reinstall stock and factory restrictions, apps, features and capabilities, now you can get rid of malware, inappropriate programs and so on. Basically, you can just troubleshoot problems like boot loops, lags, bugs, heating issues, battery drain, force close, screen freeze or total blackouts. Also, since the stock and default Lollipop system will be flashed, the root access will be eventually revoked and your phone restored back to its initial state.
Anyway, if you choose to complete this tutorial, then you need to ensure that you can prepare the following things:
- A computer and your phone’s USB cable are being required – you will have to establish a connection between your computer and your smartphone.
- On your computer you might want to temporarily disable antivirus or any other similar programs protection – some users reported that security protection interfered with the update process.
- On your Galaxy S4 you need to gain developer rights – go to “menu – settings – about phone” and then tap several times on built number.
- After ensuring developer rights you have to check the USB debugging option from “menu – settings – developer options”.
- You need to check the battery status on your SGS4; if the power left is lower than 50%, you shouldn’t go any further without plugging in the charger – your handset might get bricked if it get turned off while you try to install the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop UCUGOC3 firmware.
- Complete the steps from below only if you own the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 – the UCUGOC3 software has been officially released only for the mentioned device.
How to Manually Update AT&T Galaxy S4 to Android 5.0.1 UCUGOC3 Lollipop OS
- First of all, download the update package on your computer – you can get the file from here.
- Unzip the firmware package in order to obtain the .cfg file.
- Good; now connect your smartphone with your computer by plugging in the USB cable.
- Transfer the unzipped firmware file on your phone’s SD card and then unplug the USB cord.
- Use a file manager and rename the .cfg file into a .zip extension.
- Perfect; now turn off your device.
- Enter your Galaxy S4 into recovery mode.
- Use volume down and up buttons in order to scroll up and down and power key to select.
- Pick the “apply update from external storage” option and then select the update package.
- Wait while the OTA update is being manually applied.
- When done, return to main menu of recovery and select “reboot system now”.
- Do note that in the end a boot loop might be issued; well if that happens you need to go back to recovery and from there you have to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” – that’s why I have recommended you to make a backup operation.
Well, that’s it. You now know how to manually update your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 to official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop UCUGOC3 firmware. So, how things worked for you? Do share your experience with us and with our readers by following the comments field from below – if there are problems we will try to assist you as soon as possible.