The new official update is being rolled out in stages for all users, but you can use the instructions below in order to learn how to manually complete the update.
The Android 7 Nougat official update is being rolled out for the Canadian Galaxy S6 Edge Plus phones. This guide can be used to restore phones to stock Android 7 Nougat as the update is applied using the Odin app.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this guide only for the Canadian Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus phones.
– the model of your phone has to be the SM – G928W8.
– don’t use the tutorial for other different devices.
- download and install the Samsung USB drivers from here on your PC.
- for this update to be completed you will use the Odin app.
– for ODIN to work with your PC and phone you have to install the above usb drivers, and to make sure that your phone has USB Debugging enabled under Developer Options.
– if you can’t find Developer Options, then you will have to unhide this menu first: go to Settings> About Phone> Software Info and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– get back to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- you can flash the new official Android 7 update over a rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won’t survive the update.
– any custom Recovery you might have flashed will be replaced with stock Recovery.
- you can install the new official update over a custom ROM, but you will need to Factory Reset the device in the process.
– the Factory Reset will delete the data from system partition, no data will be removed from internal storage.
– the factory reset steps are listed at the end of the tutorial.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you won’t lose any data files in the process and you can get straight to the updating steps below.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- this guide is destined to be used by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before starting the update process.
How to install Android 7 Nougat November 2017 Update for Canadian Galaxy S6 Edge Plus G928W8:
- Download the Android 7 update file from the link here.
Make sure to grab only the file that is destined for your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus carrier.
- When the download is done you can extract the contents from the archive.
You should obtain the G928W8VLS4CQK1 BL, CP, AP, HOME_CSC firmware tar.md5 update files. Don’t extract these files, as that’s how you need to load them in Odin.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
Unzip the contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe.
- Connect the phone to PC via usb cable.
– wait for Odin to add the device.
– if the phone is not added you have to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers once more.
- Open ODIN and load the new firmware update files.
Click BL and load the G928W8VLS4CQK1 tar.md5 file with BL in the name.
Click AP and load the G928W8VLS4CQK1 tar.md5 file with AP in the name.
Click CP and load G928W8VLS4CQK1 tar.md5 file with CP in the name.
Click CSC and load G928W8VLS4CQK1 tar.md5 file with HOME_CSC in the name.
Don’t load the CSC-only file, as that one will delete all the data from your device.
- When you’re ready and you’ve loaded all the above files you can confirm the update by pressing START.
Don’t press any buttons until the update process is done installing.
- After the update is done you will see the PASS alert and the phone will reboot in normal mode.
After the update is done installing you can reboot the phone and unplug it from computer.
These were the steps you had to follow in order to complete the new official update for your smartphone.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by ODIN, then you have to repeat the tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that the phone meets all requirements and that your phone meets all requirements listed above.
If the PASS message is shown by ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you will have to Factory Reset the device for it to boot in normal mode.
The Factory Reset process wipes clean system partition, and that’s why it can be used by those that have installed the update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to Factory Reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot phone in normal mode and you are done.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.