The official Android 7.0 Nougat is being rolled out all over the world for the G928C version of the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus phones. Check the info posted below if you wish to learn how to manually install the new update on your device.
The Android 7.0 Nougat brings improvements and tweaks that will greatly improve your smartphone experience.
Follow the instructions listed here and you will be able to update your phone before Samsung pushes the Android 7.0 Nougat OTA Update files in your region. As you know, these updates are being rolled out in stages for all devices running stock Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware. If you've modified your phone's firmware you won't get the new update through official channels.
If you are running a custom ROM on your device, then you can still upgrade your phone, but you will also need to Factory Reset the device after the Nougat OS update is done installing. This update process can be applied thanks to ODIN 3.12.3 app.
Check the following info before starting the installation process:
- use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus model number SM - G928C.
- the model number can be verified under Settings> About device section.
- download and install Samsung USB drivers from here and install them on your PC.
- after the drivers are installed you will be able to connect the phone and PC via usb cable.
- for the Android 7.0 Update installation you will use the ODIN app.
- for ODIN to work and connect with the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus phone you need to install the above usb drivers, and to enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- if you cannot find Developer Options you have to unlock these: go to Settings> About Device> Software Info and here you need to tap seven times on the Build Number section.
- if the phone is rooted only, then you should be able to complete the update without any major problems, but root access won't survive the process.
- also, any custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM will be replaced with stock Recovery image.
- the Android 7.0 Nougat can be flashed with ODIN over custom ROMs, but you should know that a Factory Reset process has to be applied after the update will be completed successfully.
- the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of the article.
- this Factory Reset process should wipe the system partition removing the custom ROM, and allowing your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus phone to boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset won't remove any data files from internal storage.
- read the entire article and don't skip any steps.
- this tutorial is destined to be used by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- check battery charge level, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before it powers off.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install the Android 7.0 Nougat Update for Galaxy S6 Edge Plus G928C:
- Download G928CXXU3CQC7 Nougat 7.0 Update tar.md5 file from here.
- After the download is done you simply have to unzip its contents. You will get the G928CXXU3CQC7 tar.md5 firmware update file.
- do not extract the tar.md5 archive, as that's how you have to load it in ODIN.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
- extract the archived contents of the ODIN files.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus in Download Mode.
- Open the ODIN exe on your computer.
- Connect your smartphone to computer via usb cable.
- wait until ODIN detects the phone.
If the app doesn't detect the phone you have to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Go back to ODIN and click the AP option.
Find and load the G928CXXU3CQC7 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- Confirm the update process by pressing START.
- wait for the installation to be completed automatically.
- After the new update is done installing you will see the PASS alert and the phone will restart.
Unplug the phone from PC, and use your usual login info to unlock the device.
These were the steps you had to follow in order to complete the Android 7.0 update for your phone.
If the FAIL message is shown by ODIN you need to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat the flashing process you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't skip any steps.
If the PASS alert is shown in ODIN, but your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes without loading the Nougat welcome screen, then you will have to Factory Reset the device.
The Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post and they should be applied in case you have installed the new update over a custom ROM, too. Here's how to Factory Reset the phone:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot phone in normal mode.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial, then you should tell us in comments and we will try to come up with viable solutions.