T-Mobile has launched the official Android 9 Pie firmware update for the Galaxy S8 Active users. Check the instructions below and learn how to manually upgrade your smartphone to its latest firmware version.
The Galaxy S8 Active was launched in the United States in August 2017 and it was running the Android 7.0 Nougat OS, and two years after its release T-Mobile has rolled out the Android 9 Pie official update allowing users to experience the new One UI 1.1 for the first time.
The new official Android 9 Pie update is being rolled out in stages and it will reach all phones before the end of the month. In case you don't want to wait for the official update to arrive over-the-air, then you can check the instructions below and learn how to install the firmware yourself.
Note that you have to use this post only if you are an advanced user, as we cannot be held responsible in case you end up bricking your smartphone.
How to install the Android 9 Pie Update for T-Mobile Galaxy S8 Active
Make sure that you will read all the steps below, and that you won't skip any of them, so that you will complete the official update easily. Here's how to do it:
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers from here, and install them on your computer. Without these drivers you can't connect with your computer.
- Download Android 9 Pie firmware update for Galaxy S8 Active TMO from here.
- When the firmware is downloaded you will have to extract the archived contents. Save all the files on your PC.
- Download Odin 3.13.3 from here. Unzip the Odin files .
- Switch off your smartphone.
- Boot the Galaxy S8 Active in Download Mode. It can be done by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power + Bixby buttons. Release the buttons when the screen turns blue.
- Next, press the Volume Up and confirm Download Mode boot.
- Launch the Odin exe on your PC.
- Use the usb cable and connect your device with your computer. Wait for Odin to add the Galaxy S8 Active device and then continue to the next part of this post.
- Start loading the Android 9 Pie firmware files into ODIN. The files you have to load are the ones you've extracted at step 3.
- Click the AP button and load the AP_G892USQU5CSG7 file in Odin.
Click BL and load the BL_G892USQU5CSG7 file in Odin.
Click CP and load the CP_G892USQU5CSG7 file.
Finally, click the CSC button in ODIN and load the file with HOME_CSC_G892USQU5CSG7 in its name. Don't load the file with only CSC in its name, as that one will end up deleting all the user data from your phone.
- Press the START button and wait for ODIN to complete the Android 9 Pie official update.
- When the installation is done you can see the PASS alert shown by the ODIN app.
- Disconnect your phone from PC and reboot it in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 9.0 official update for the Galaxy S8 Active users on T-Mobile. If the installations fails, then you should try and repeat the process more than once. If you do repeat the installation, then you need to make sure that your phone supports the update and that you won't skip any steps.