The new official Android 8.0.0 Oreo official update is being rolled out by AT&T for all their Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus users.
If you want to manually install the new update, then you should check the info below. Note that the tutorial has to be applied by advanced users.
Android 8.0.0 Oreo official update is being rolled out in stages, but it will take a while before it reaches all the AT&T users over-the-air. This guide is great if you are an advanced user and you don’t wish to wait for the update to roll out and instead install it manually.
If you do not want to manually install this new update, then you can wait for AT&T to release the new official update in your region over-the-air. In case you have modified the installed stock Android ROM, then the update might not be rolled out for your device, which is why you will have to flash the new firmware manually with ODIN tool.
Also, you can manually search for new official update right from your phone: go to Settings> Software Update> Download Updates manually. If a new file is ready for download you have to simply confirm the update and the Galaxy S8 will take care of the rest of the process automatically.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users only.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the entire post and do not skip any steps.
- use the guide only for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus SM – G955U1.
– don’t use the tutorial for other different devices.
- download Samsung USB drivers from here and install them on your computer.
- for the update you will use ODIN 3.13.3 tool, and for it to work with your Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus AT&T you will need to install the above usb drivers and to enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Developer Options menu might be hidden, which is why you will have to enable that first: go to Settings> About Phone> Software Info and here tap 7 times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- you can flash Android 8.0.0 Oreo official update with ODIN over rooted, but stock firmware, without losing important data.
NOTE: root access won’t survive the update process.
– also, any custom Recovery will be restored the stock Android Recovery.
- Odin can flash Android 8.0.0 official firmware over a custom ROM, but you will have to Factory Reset the phone after the update is done, as otherwise the AT&T Galaxy S8 Plus won’t boot in normal mode.
– Factory Resetting the device won’t remove any data from internal storage.
– the Factory Reset steps will only delete data from the system partition removing the installed custom ROM and apps.
– the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of the tutorial.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android, then you can get to the next part of this post and start the update.
- make sure that your phone meets the requirements above and that there is at least 50% charge left before it powers off.
How to flash Android 8.0.0 Oreo Update Manually using ODIN for AT&T Galaxy S8 Plus G955U1:
- Download Android 8.0.0 Oreo G955U1UEU2CRB9 archive file from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
– you will obtain five different G955U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 Android 8.0.0 Oreo update files.
– don’t unzip any further than that.
- Download Odin 3.13.1 zip from here.
– unzip the contents.
- Switch off the AT&T Galayx S8 Plus.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the Galaxy S8 Plus to your PC using an USB cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the phone and continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not added by ODIN, then you will have to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Go to ODIN main window and start loading the update files.
- Click Bl and load the BL_G955U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 update file.
Click AP and load the AP_G955U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 file.
Click CP and load CP_G955U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 file.
Click CSC and load HOME_CSC_G955U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 file. Do not load the file that has only CSC in its name, as that one will trigger the factory reset process.
- Press START after you load all four Android 8.0.0 Oreo update files to being the installation.
– don’t press anything the update process is done.
- When installation is done you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN, and the Galaxy S8 Plus AT&T should start the Android 8.0 first boot process.
Unplug the phone from PC and wait for first boot to complete.
These were all the instructions you had to go over in order to finish installing Android 8 Oreo update on your Galaxy S8 Plus AT&T phone.
If the FAIL message is shown by the ODIN app during installation, then you will have to repeat the flashing process. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that your Galaxy S8 Plus AT&T phone meets all requirements above and that you won’t skip any steps.
If Odin 3.13.3 app shows the PASS message, but your phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you will be forced to Factory Reset the phone.
The Factory Reset process is going to wipe clean the system partition, and force the phone to boot in normal mode. The steps below should be applied by those that have installed the new official update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to Factory Reset your AT&T Galaxy S8 Plus from Recovery Mode and force it to boot in normal mode:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- confirm process.
- reboot device in normal mode.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.