The HTC Desire HD has received a custom ROM that will flash the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean firmware on it. Use this tutorial only if you're an advanced user as this is not a final release and you might still find some bugs and errors.
This ROM has been bundled by AceofSpades90, an XDA developer, and it is a preview build of Android 4.2. It isn't a final release and currently the following functions are not fully working: Data, Phone, Internal Storage, Tether, Mount Ext SD to PC, Settings > Storage FC. However, the following functions are working: GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, Logcat, Sound, Surface flinger, Media Scanner, Touch, GPS, Camera. Tell us in comments if you find any other faulty features.
Read the preparation guide below to learn what you need to do in order to get this ROM on your Desire HD smartphone:
- IMPORTANT: Use the CWM Recovery or ROM manager and create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM.
- Backup apps and other files before starting the install.
- Flash this pre-alpha preview build of Android 4.2 AOSP ROM only on the HTC Desire HD phone. It will brick any other devices if you attempt to install it on them.
- Your smartphone should be rooted, unlocked and running a CWM Recovery image.
- Enable USB debugging option from Developer Options menu.
- Charge the phone's battery.
- Install this custom ROM only if you're an advanced user and use it only for testing purposes. If you're a novice then you should wait until a more stable release will be available for your smartphone.
- Do not blame us in case your smartphone gets bricked in the process. You are installing this preview build ROM only at your own risk.
- If you're having problems with completing the tutorial, then you should ask for help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the tutorial. Don't skip any instructions that I've listed.
How to flash Preview build of Android 4.2 AOSP ROM on HTC Desire HD:
- Download the pre-alpha custom ROM zip from HERE. Don't extract its contents and save it on your PC desktop screen.
- Connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable. Now move the ROM zip on its internal SD card and when this is complete you should unplug the phone from PC.
- Power off the smartphone and then boot it into CWM Recovery mode.
- Select 'wipe data/ factory reset' option and confirm.
- Next, select 'install zip from sdcard' and from the next menu select 'choose zip from sdcard'. Find the Android 4.2 preview AOSP ROM zip and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM is installed you should return to the main CWM Recovery menu. Select 'reboot system now'.
- Your HTC Desire HD will now restart and you should wait at least 5 minutes for the first boot process to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details and then you will take control over your device.
- That's it, now you can begin to test this new ROM.
If you don't like this new preview build of Android 4.2 ROM for HTC Desire HD, then you should use the backup file of the previous ROM and restore it.
Also, tell us in comments if you like this new release, if you find any errors or bugs with this new custom ROM.