Several hours earlier we've told you about the release of a new custom ROM update firmware for the HTC One X and, in this article you will find instructions on how to apply and install it without damaging your device. The One X international model packs the Tegra 3 and all Android developers have already started working on Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROMs and we also, as users, are hoping that with every release we will get better performance and stability out of the upcoming custom firmware editions for the quad core device.
If you wish to install and test this new custom ROM on your HTC One X then you will have to read all the instructions listed in this article. Make sure to apply all the actions I'm telling you to. Also, read all the info listed under the pre-requisites guide and in this way you will ensure that everything will go accordingly to plan and your device should boot the new custom ROM from its first attempt.
LeeDroid One Xtreme ROM brings enhanced I/O performance, LeeDrOiD Tweaks v0.5, support for partition mount tuneups, browser now allows up to 15 opened tabs, adjusted and improved RAM app / service priorities, the normalized sleepers were disabled, works with V6 supercharger etc. Also, bugs and other features have been repaired, while some other tools and utilities will be improved in the upcoming releases. LeeDroid developers hope that the new One Xtreme custom ROM for HTC ONE X will bring a new feel and improve the ICS experience for users worldwide. Please note that this guide will work only with the One X device while any other models, like the one sold in the US will need to wait for any new firmware updates.
Here's what you need to know and what actions are recommended for you to take so that every step in the tutorial guide will apply successfully without the risk of losing data or corrupting files. However, in case something does go wrong and you lose files then we cannot be held responsible, nor the developers of LeeDroid One Xtreme custom ROM firmware.
Preparation guide for updating the firmware of your HTC One X device using LeeDroid's update files:
- you should create backups of all data contained within your smartphone. You can move your audio, music, video and all the other important docs on your device's internal SD card or you can choose to move them on your computer using the USB cable. Dropbox users can use their accounts to upload their most important files and after the update is complete these can be easily restored.
- If you have important SMS text messages that you wish to restore, then you can use the SMS Backup & Restore application to save all received and sent text messages.
- For those that wish to save the Call Logs info, then the Call Logs Backup & Restore application is the one that does exactly what it says.
- Contacts can be synced with your Gmail account. If you don't know how to do it, then you should read the article here, as it explains exactly how to successfully backup all the contacts currently stored on your HTC One X.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging option. It can be found through Setttings, then open Developer Options and you should see the USB Debuggin option; tick it.
- charge your phone's battery until it reaches over 80 % charging levels so that it won't switch off while updating the firmware.
- read and double check every step listed in the tutorial guide because by skipping any steps you might be forced to repeat the entire tutorial guide.
- the instructions listed here will work only on HTC One X models. Do not attempt to install the Leedroid One Xtreme custom ROM on any other phone.
HTC One X should have its bootloader unlocked. In case yours doesn't have it unlocked then you will have to go to htcdev.com and learn how to unlock the bootloader for your device. Click this highlighted link that will take you to HTC's official website. When this action is completed you will have to move to the tutorial guide.
Now that you know all this info, it means that you're ready to move to the 'how-to' guide and update your HTC One X firmware files using the LeeDrOiD One Xtreme ICS custom ROM package. Here's how to:
- Install the Touch Clockworkmod CWM Recovery on HTC One X. All the instructions can be found in this thread here. After you've completed all the steps listed there, you should return to this tutorial guide and continue with the rest of the steps.
- Download the LeeDroid One Xtreme custom ROM firmware from here and save it on your computer.
- After the download is complete you need to move the zip file on your phone's SD Card.
- Power OFF the HTC One X.
- Boot into CWM Touch Recovery. This can be done by booting first into bootloader mode by pressing Volume Down and while holding this button press Power. Use the volume button to select Recovery and then press Power to enter Touch CWM recovery mode.
- Create a NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM firmware. This will allows you to restore the previous ROM files in case the LeeDroid One Xtreme ROM doesn't work correctly. To create a backup, simply click the Backup and Restore option and then on the next screen choose 'Backup'. Return to the default recovery menu.
- Choose 'install zip from sd card' and then select the 'choose zip from sdcard' and browse until you find the zip file for LeeDroid custom ROM. Confirm that you wish to install the new firmware update and then wait until the process is completed.
- When the update is complete you will need to select '++++Go Back++++'. Now select 'reboot system now' option and then wait until the home screen of your HTC One X device loads completely.
- Please note that the first boot should take a while before being able to load all the screens and Android system services. Wait at least 10 minutes for it to complete its task. In case you notice that it takes over 15 minutes then it means that something went wrong and the firmware update wasn't successfully installed, which means that you need to reboot the phone by pressing the Power button for at least 10 seconds and it will perform a hard reset. Repeat all the steps above and the second time you should manage to install the new firmware custom ROM on your HTC One X smartphone.
These were all the steps that you had to take. Now your device should run on the new LeeDroid One Xtreme firmware update. For any questions, regarding the HTC One X or any custom ROM firmware installations, use our comments field to post them. Also, for any other tips and tricks for Android phones and tablets you should use the search box and you should find at least one tutorial guide that will help you improve your phone.