The Nitrogen OS Nougat is a custom project developed by an XDA user, and it has now reached the Nexus 5 devices.
This Android 7.0 Nitrogen OS custom ROM is based on the AOSP Nougat 7.0.0 releases. The Nougat official firmware won't be released for the Nexus 5 models, which is why users are starting to turn their attention to other sources when it comes to running this latest Android OS.
You can learn more about the Nitrogen OS Nougat project for Nexus 5 here. Keep in mind that this is not an official Nougat software which means that some things will not work as intended, and that you will see tons of 'force close' errors while running Nitrogen OS Nougat ROM.
Check the guidelines listed below and learn how to setup the Nexus 5 device for the installation process:
- use this post for the Nexus 5 "hammerhead" models only.
- do not attempt to update any other different Nexus devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your device should be rooted and it should run TWRP 3.0.2-0 or a newer build.
- you can't flash the new update if the TWRP custom Recovery isn't updated to its latest version.
- so, make sure that the custom TWRP Recovery is updated to its latest version.
- in the 'how-to' part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps like NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- the 'Factory Reset' step is mandatory, as otherwise the new custom Nougat OS Nitrogen ROM won't boot in normal mode.
- factory resetting the device will wipe the entire system partition, while the data on the internal should be left unchanged.
- make sure to backup all the important data before starting the Custom Nougat ROM installation.
- check the Helium app here if you wish to backup data from installed applications.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users.
- do not blame us in case you brick the device nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
Now that you've read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Custom Nitrogen Nougat ROM for Nexus 5:
Remember to upgrade the TWRP Custom Recovery installation to its latest version, as otherwise you won't be able to flash this new custom ROM.
- Download the NitrogenOS Nougat 7.0 ROM build from here.
- grab the latest build possible.
- Download Gapps 7.0 Pico zip from here.
- Both zip files will have to be moved to your phone's internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from PC.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off your Nexus 5.
- Boot it in TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Create the NANDROID Backup for the ROM that's already installed on your device:
- for TWRP select the 'Backup' option.
- select the files you wish to backup.
- Confirm backup process, then get to the next step.
- Factory Reset your Nexus 5:
- in TWRP select the 'Wipe' options menu. Confirm process.
- Now you can begin the Nitrogen OS Nougat 7.0 installation. Select 'Install' menu.
- Find the "nitrogen-os-hammerhead' zip file and confirm the flashing process.
- don't press any buttons until the new custom ROM is done installing.
- When the custom ROM is done flashing you can do the same for the Gapps 7.0 Pico file.
- After all the new firmware files are done installing you can reboot your Nexus 5 in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new firmware files.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Nitrogen OS Nougat 7.0 custom ROM.
If the new custom ROM installation fails to complete you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation, then you will need to make sure not to skip any steps, and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.