Samsung has decided to update the Galaxy J5 2017 models to the latest Android 9.0 Pie firmware version. Check the instructions below in order to learn how to manually installed the new firmware yourself.
These updates are being rolled out in stages for all Galaxy J5 2017 users worldwide, and it can be installed over-the-air when the notification is sent your way. Note that the OTA Updates will take a while before it reaches all devices, and if you are an advanced user then you can install it manually using our guide below.
In case the installation of Android 9 Pie isn't completed successfully, then you should use the comments field and let us know - we will try to come up with a solution for your problem. Make sure to list as many details as possible about the steps you took, the model of your device, and any other info you consider important.
NOTE: do not attempt to install the official Android 9 Pie update over a custom ROM, as it might not work, and you might end up bricking your phone.
How to manually install Android 9.0 Pie Official Update for Galaxy J5 2017:
The guide below will teach you how to manually install the new update using the Odin app and the Android 9.0 Pie firmware files. Please note that the guide is destined to be used by advanced users only. We cannot be held responsible in case you end up bricking the device nor in case you lose any important data files.
For this guide to work with your phone you need to go to Settings> About Phone and under the Model version of your device you should find the "SM - J530FM" term listed in there. If your Galaxy J5 2017 has a different model number, then you shouldn't use this tutorial, as it won't work for your device.
Make sure to apply all the steps listed below in order to complete the update process.
- Download and install the Samsung USB drivers on your computer.
- Download the Android 9 Pie firmware update file zip for Galaxy J5 2017 J530FM.
- When the download is done you have to unpack the archive and save all the files on your PC.
- Download Odin 3.13.3 from here. Unzip the contents and save them on your PC.
- Power off your Galaxy J5.
- Now boot it in Download Mode.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power button until the screen shows a blue background and some text.
- Press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode boot.
- Next, open the Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer via usb cable. Wait for Odin to add the phone and then get to the next step.
- You can start loading the Android 9 Pie firmware update files into Odin. These are the files you extracted at step 3.
- First, click the "AP" button in ODin, then find and load the J530FMXXU7CSH8 file with AP in its name.
- Now you can find the J530FMXXU7CSH8_BL file and load it in the BL field.
- Click CP and load the J530FMXXU7CSH8 with CP in its name.
- Finally, click CSC and load the file with HOME_CSC_J530FMXXU7CSH8 in its name. Do not load the file that only has the "CSC" term in its title without "HOME". The file that only has "CSC" in the name will delete your entire device and remove all the data you have stored on it.
- Confirm installation by pressing the START button.
- When the update is done you will see a green PASS notification displayed by the ODIN app.
- Unplug the Galaxy J5 device from your PC and you are done. Wait for the reboot to be completed and the installation of Android 9 Pie firmware will be done.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 9 Pie official update for your Galaxy J5 2017 phone. If you need more help completing this guide, then you should tell us in comments below.