Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 has been running on the Android 4.0.3 firmware and recently there were rumors that said that it won't receive the Android 4.0.4 ICS update. However, all these rumors were shattered today because there is a new leaked firmware for I9100 that is based on Android 4.0.4 ICS and with XXLQ5 firmware, which means that Samsung should eventually launch the new update in the near future. Make sure to read all the instructions listed in this post and learn how to successfully flash the new firmware on your device.
This is a leaked firmware of Android 4.0.4 ICS for Galaxy S2 devices and you should know that this update isn't finished and it might still pack some bugs and errors.
Before you can start installing hte XXLQ5 firmware on your Galaxy S2 device, you should learn what actions and what applications you need to use in order to backup the files currently stored on your device. Make sure to read the preparation guide info and only afterwards you should move on to the first step of the tutorial. Here's what you need to know:
- the XXLQ5 Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware has been leaked and it can be used to upgrade your phone from Android 4.0.3.
- install the update only on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 devices. Do not attempt to flash the XXLQ5 firmware on other Android devices.
- the updating process will wipe all data, applications and other files. You should move the important files on your phone's internal or external sdcard storage space. Note that the update won't delete the contents of the SD cards, which is why you can move the files you wish to save in there.
- to save applications, APN Settings, Call Logs and SMS text messages you will need to use the following applications: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- To backup your saved phone numbers, you should sync them first with the Gmail account. This guide HERE teaches you how to complete the sync process without losing any data.
- enable the Android Debugging mode.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer: Windows 32 bit (x86) | Windows 64 bit (x64).
- you can create a complete backup of the currently installed ROM using the root-based services and apps such as CWM recovery, ROM manager etc.
- remember to charge the S2 I9100 battery until it foes over 70% in power levels.
- you're installing the new update at your own risk and you shouldn't blame us in case you damage your phone, as you are the one taking the risk and note that this guide should be applied by advanced Android users.
- Remove/ disable Samsung KIES during the firmware update process.
That's all the info you had to read and now you should move to the tutorial guide. Remember that you won't be able to complete the installation in case you don't have the Windows USB drivers for Samsung installed on your PC. Apply only the steps I've listed in the tutorial and in case you cannot complete the guide, then please feel free to post all your questions in the comments field.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.0.4 ICS XXLQ5 leaked firmware:
- Download the XXLQ5 firmware file from HERE on your computer.
- Extract its contents into a single folder and you should obtain four different files, three of them are listed with the '.tar.md5' extension while the other one is '.pit'. After the unzip process is complete you should move to the next step.
- Download Odin 1.85 from HERE.
- Unzip ODIN contents in a single folder on your PC.
- Power OFF the device and make sure that it isn't connected to your computer.
- Boot your Samsung Galaxy S2 into Download Mode. Do it when the phone is switched off by pressing and holding 'volume down' + 'home' + 'power' buttons simultaneously until the Warning screen appears, which is when you need to release the buttons and press 'volume up' to load Download Mode for I9100 Galaxy S2 device.
- Go back to your computer and open the ODIN folder. Launch the Odin executable file.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to your PC and Odin should now say 'added' and you can move to the next step. This means that all Samsung USB drivers were installed successfully.
- In Odin click the PDA button and load the 'I9100_CODE_I9100XXLQ5_CL753921_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5' file.
- Next, click PHONE and load the 'MODEM_I9100XXLQ5_REV_02_CL1165929.tar.md5' file.
- Click CSC and load 'GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXALQ5.tar.md5'.
- Now click the START button to begin the installation of the XXLQ5 firmware update on your Galaxy S2. Don't change any of ODIN's default options. Wait until the update is complete.
- After all firmware files have been installed your Galaxy S2 will restart and when the Samsung Logo pops up you can unplug the USB connection. Odin will say 'PASS' and that means that all files have been successfully installed and your device is running the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS XXLQ5 firmware.
NOTE: In case ODIN gets stuck and it freezes during the installation, then something might have gone wrong and you will need to power off the device, disconnect it from your PC, remove its battery, close ODIN, re-insert the battery and after that boot again in Download mode and restart the tutorial from step 6. If you still cannot complete the installation then you should ask for our help by leaving a comment and giving us enough info, so that we can determine what actions you should apply in order to update your SGS2.
I hope that this guide helped you successfully update your Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.0.4 ICS XXLQ5 firmware. Return in the next few days to learn how to successfully root and install CWM Recovery on your smartphone. If you have any extra tips or tricks, then you should post in our comments section.
UPDATE: If you wish to root the XXLQ5 firmware, then you should use this tutorial guide HERE. You'll learn how to properly re-gain root access for your Galaxy S2 device that is now running the latest leaked ICS 4.0.4 Android firmware.