LineageOS is the continuation of the CyanogenMod builds and it is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 devices.
LineageOS is based on the AOSP Android 7.1.1 Nougat releases, but you will find tons of extra features saved from CyanogenMod ROMs and some other new things added by the new developers. Check more about the LineageOS here.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 was launched in 2011 and the last Android official update rolled out for it was the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean which happened long ago. If you are still rocking a Galaxy S2 I9100 model and you are curious to see how Android 7.1.1 custom ROM looks on it, then you should check the Lineage OS Nougat Nightly builds.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 models.
- don’t try to use this guide for other different devices.
- for this tutorial to work with your device you need to own a rooted Galaxy S2 and the latest TWRP Custom Recovery build has to be installed on it.
– the installed custom Recovery has to be upgraded to the latest possible build, so that it supports the latest Android 7.1.1-based custom ROM installations.
- before installing the ROM you will be asked to create a NANDROID Backup and to Factory Reset the device, so don’t skip those steps when you reach them.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, a file that you can use in case the new custom ROM isn’t installed correctly.
– the Factory Reset wipes clean system partition, it removes the old custom ROM and it forces the phone to boot in normal mode.
– Factory Reset won’t delete any data from internal storage of your device.
- you should backup any data you have on your device before starting the flashing process.
- this tutorial should be used only by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone, nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
- check battery charge level of your device and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before it powers off completely.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install LineageOS 14.1 Android 7.1.1 Custom ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the latest LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM zip from here.
- Download the Google Apps zip for Android 7.1.1 ROMs from here.
- After the downloads are done you can move the files to your phone’s internal storage. After the files are copied you need to disconnect the phone from PC.
– do not unzip the files.
– save the files on your phone and continue to the next step.
- Power off the device.
- Boot your phone in Custom Recovery Mode: volume UP + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
– release the buttons when the TWRP Recovery menu is displayed.
- Next, create the NANDROID Backup for the ROM that’s already installed on your device:
Select “Backup” option, select the files you wish to backup and then continue to the next step.
- Now you need to do with TWRP is to Factory Reset the device.
Select the “WIPE” option and then confirm the process.
- Start the flashing process by selecting the INSTALL option.
Find and load the LineageOS 14.1 zip file in your Custom Recovery.
Confirm the installation.
- After the custom ROM is done installing you can flash the Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot your smartphone in normal mode after all the files are done installing.
- Use your default login data in order to regain control over your device once again.
These were the steps you had to follow in order to complete the installation of LineageOS Android 7.1.1 custom ROM zip on your phone.
If the installation fails or you are getting some errors while attempting to complete the LineageOS 14.1 install, then you should try to repeat the whole tutorial more than once.