The official CyanogenMod 12 Nightlies are now live for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active smartphones. Use this tutorial if you wish to learn how to successfully install one of these builds on your smartphone.
The CM 12 Nightly ROM is based on the AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop and it features tons of other extra features designed by the CyanogenMod team. Check the CM blog page here for more info.
Before starting installation you should check the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active smartphone.
- don't try to flash the files you find in this post on any other Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest version of a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- make sure to upgrade the installed custom Recovery image to it latest version.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device and it saves the ROM that's already installed on your device.
- the 'factory reset' wipes data from the system memory, that's where the previous ROM stores all of its files and you need to remove them.
- 'factory reset' doesn't remove any data from internal storage.
- if you wish to save data from installed apps, then you can use the Helium for Android app.
- Contacts data and People details can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check battery charge level, make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the phone from powering down during installation.
- read the whole guide and don't skip any steps.
- this is a guide that has to be used by advanced Android users, we cannot be blamed in case you use any files in the process nor in case you end up bricking the phone.
Since you've read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update custom ROMs.
How to flash CM 12 Nightly Android 5.0 ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 Active:
- Download the CM 12 Nightly zip from here.
- continue updating this ROM after installation is complete by using its CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.x Lollipop ROMs here.
- Move both zip files to your phone's internal storage.
- do not unzip the files.
- disconnect the phone from computer after all the files have been copied.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in CWM / TWRP Custom Recovery Mode.
- Now you can start the backup process:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore', for TWRP you should select 'backup' option.
- set a name for the file and confirm process.
- Apply the 'factory reset':
- for CWM select 'wipe data/ factory reset' and for TWRP you should use the 'wipe' function.
- Now you can begin the CM 12 Nightly ROM installation:
- for CWM select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- for TWRP select Install option.
- Find the CM 12 Nightly zip file and confirm the installation process.
- After the ROM is flashed you can install the Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM might take more than 15 minutes, so you should wait until all the files have been successfully installed.
- Use your usual login details or create a new CM profile in order to take complete control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to install CM 12 Nightly Android 5.0 ROM for your Samsung Galaxy S4 Active smartphone. In case the process fails, then you should try to repeat the entire process all over again. Make sure that you don't skip any steps and that your phone meets all the requirements listed above. If you need more help you can use the comments field below.
Remember that this is a guide for advanced users and that we cannot be held responsible in case you end up losing any data in the process.