Samsung has released the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update in Asia for all the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus G928C models. If you own one of these devices, then you should check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to flash the update manually.
The official Android 6.0.1 update is rolling out in stages for all G928C devices, but this process will take a while before it reaches all Galaxy S6 Edge+ users. The update comes with 1GB of new content, so you should be expecting to find tons of extra functions after completing the update such as Doze, Google Now on Tap, improved TouchWiz, and more.
This guide is great for those that are running a custom ROM on their devices, too. You can flash the update over custom ROMs easily using Odin, but you will be forced to 'factory reset' the device in the process.
Before beginning the update you have to make sure that your phone meets all requirements.
Use this post only in case you own the Asian version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus.
Your phone's model number has to be SM - G928C.
Do not try to update any other different models with the files that you will find in this post.
Download the Samsung usb drivers here. Install these drivers on your computer in order to make sure that you will be able to connect your phone with it.
Enable USB Debugging for your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus device from its Developer Options menu.
If the Developer Options is not listed under Settings, then you will have to enable it first. Go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
Go to Settings, scroll down and there you will now find Developer Options.
In case you have a rooted device, then you need to know that the update will revoke root access. Also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed is going to be lost during the installation.
You can install the new official update over a custom ROM, too. But, for this to work you need to be an advanced user and be prepared with a full backup of the installed custom ROM, as you will risk bricking the device.
Also, if you install the update over a custom ROM you will be forced to apply an extra 'factory reset' process after the update is done. This will allow your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus to boot in normal mode.
Factory Resetting the phone will only wipe the system partition, but it won't touch the internal storage.
The 'factory reset' steps are listed at the end of this post.
If your phone is 100% stock Android, then you can get to the update steps right away, as you won't lose any data in the process.
Use the tutorial steps only in case you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
Read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
Check the battery charge of your phone, make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent it from powering off during installation.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus G928C:
For the updating process you will have to use the Odin tool which means that you have to install the required usb drivers. Also, it would be best for you to deactivate any antivirus apps from running on your computer.
- Download the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow from here.
- Extract the files and save them on your PC.
- you should obtain the G928CXXU2BPB8 tar.md5 firmware file.
- do not unzip this file and save them all on your PC.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.6 zip from here.
- extract the contents and save them on your computer.
- Switch off your device and then boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect your smartphone to computer via USB cable.
- wait for the device to be detected and added by ODIN.
- if the smartphone is not recognized, then you will have to reinstall the Samsung USB Drivers once more.
- Go to Odin's main window, click the "options" tab and disable 're-partition'.
- if this option was already disabled, then you can skip this step.
- Now, click AP in ODIN.
- Find and load the G928CXXU2BPB8 tar.md5 file in Odin.
- don't edit any other Odin optios.
- Hit the START button in ODIN in order to confirm the installation process of Android 6.0.1 update.
- After the updating process is done you will see the PASS alert.
- ODIN will then reboot your device in normal mode.
- Unplug the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus from PC when the "optimizing apps" menu appears on its display.
- Use your default login info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to finish the update.
If you encounter any problems during installation, then you should check the extra info listed below.
If Odin shows the FAIL alert or any other error, then you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once.
If you are forced to repeat installation because the update has failed, then you need to re-read the requirements above and then make sure that you don't skip any steps.
Use the comments field at the end oft his post in case you need any extra help to complete this guide.
In case the PASS alert is displayed by ODIN and your phone reboots, but it is unable to go past the boot animation screen or it enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to 'factory reset' the device.
The 'factory reset' steps will have to be applied by those Galaxy S6 Edge Plus users that have installed the new update over a custom ROM, too. Here's ow to factory reset your phone and make it boot in normal mode:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power.
- release the buttons when the Recovery options are displayed on your device.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot device in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to install an official Samsung Android update for your phone.