The official CM 13 Nightly builds are now live for all the Sony Xperia M smartphones. Check the instructions that are listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash a custom ROM on your device.
The CM 13 Nightlies are based on the AOSP Android 6.0 releases, but you will find tons of extra new elements designed by the CyanogenMod team. Before you can start installing the new firmware you should check the CyanogenMod blog page here in order to learn more about the work put behind the CM 13 ROMs.
Before starting the installation process you should read some guidelines that will teach you to prepare your phone and help you complete the install at your first attempt.
This is a guide that needs to be used only by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone nor in case you end up losing any important data in the process.
Use the tutorial only for the Sony Xperia M devices.
Do not attempt to update any other different Xperia models with the files that you will find in this post.
Your phone needs to be rooted and it should be running the latest version of either CWM or TWRP Recovery.
The installed custom Recover has to be updated to its latest build, so that it will support the new CM 13 Android 6.0 ROM installations.
In the 'how-to' part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
The NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
The Factory Reset process wipes clean the system memory partition and it allows the new ROM to boot in normal mode.
Factory Resetting the device won't remove any files from internal storage.
If you need to save data from installed apps, then you will need to use Helium tool for Android.
Sync the Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
Check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, as that will prevent the phone from switching off during installation.
Read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps.
After your install the CM 13 ROM you should continue flashing future new Nightlies by going to CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Phone section.
How to flash CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightly ROM for Sony Xperia M:
- Download the CM 13 nightly zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0 ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone to PC and move both zip files on to its internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can continue to the next step.
- do not unzip the files and disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the Xperia M.
- Next, boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- the custom Recovery boot guide linked above is destined for Xperia Z2 devices, but it will work for the Xperia M, too.
- Create the NANDROID ROM Backup:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore'.
- TWRP: select 'backup'.
- set a name for the file and confirm the process.
- Now you can factory reset the device.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset' for CWM-based Recovery.
- TWRP: select 'wipe' option.
- Start the CM13 Nightly installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install'.
- Find the CM 13 zip file and confirm the flashing process.
- After the new ROM is done installing on your Xperia M, then you can continue and flash the Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode after all the new files are done installing on your phone.
- note that the first boot process of this new CM 13 ROM is going to take a while before it completes.
- Use your default Gmail account in order to regain complete control over your phone once again.
If the first boot process of this new ROM takes too long to complete, and the phone gets stuck at the boot animation for too long without showing the 'optimizing apps' menu, or the device enters in a boot loop, then you will need to repeat the whole installation more than once.
If you are forced to repeat installation, then you will need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to complete the CM 13 Nightly Android 6.0 ROM installation on your Xperia M device.
In case you need any extra help completing the tutorial, then you should tell us in comments, as we will try to come up with a solution for your problems.
Remember that you should try to continue updating your Xperia M with future new CM 13 Nightly builds using the CyanogenMod Updates menu from under Settings> About Phone menu.