Sony Xperia Z can be now officially updated with stock Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS. The firmware built number is 10.6.A.0.454 and brings the Lollipop platform in OTA form for the Xperia Z devices from US, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Bangladesh. Thus, the Lollipop notification can be anytime spotted on your own phone, that if you haven’t rooted your device – if your smartphone is rooted or installed with a custom ROM, you will have to manually flash the 10.6.A.0.454 Android 5.0.2 firmware by using this dedicated tutorial.
Moreover, since we are dealing with an OTA release, the Lollipop firmware is being offered in phases or gradually, so not all the Sony Xperia Z users will receive their Android 5.0.2 notification at the same time. Furthermore, as I have already pointed out, the update can be received by air only if it is locked and installed with stock Android OS. Thus, as you can see, there are reasons why you should choose to flash the same 10.6.A.0.454 software manually, by using this compatible tutorial.
In fact this guide should be bookmarked as well, as it can be used in other situations too. For example you can follow the guidelines from below in the future for downgrading your Xperia Z back to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 OS. Or you might have to use these steps for resolving software related issues, as installing stock Android firmware fixes various software related problems such as boot loops, lags, bugs, force close errors, battery drain, heating issues, screen freeze and even total blackouts.
Now, it is important to know that this manual update procedure is official, so you will flash the same Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS as the 10.6.A.0.454 OTA firmware. Therefore, your Xperia Z will be in safe hands and you won’t lose your phone’s warranty while taking care of the steps from below. Moreover, the update process will also imply in using a dedicated tool, which is also an official software, so we will keep it all simple and secured.
The 10.6.A.0.454 is stable and the new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS will smoothly run on your own Sony Xperia Z – until now there aren’t any bugs or lags reported by the users who have already tested the ROM. Moreover, the update comes will new features, apps and capabilities that will improve the Android experience and which will also power up the performances of your phone; thus you shouldn’t hesitate from trying out the new Lollipop built that is released by Sony and Google.
However, before completing your goal, backup your Xperia Z data by using compatible backup and restore apps from Google Play or a cloud storage platform. The backup is only optional as it is unlikely to lose something while updating with an official software. But, when it comes to your personal data, info and accounts (such as contacts, call logs, text messages, internet settings, market apps, images, videos or audio files) you can never be too sure, am I right?
Well, after taking care of your data, you should also prepare your phone and other general things for the update process that will shortly follow. In that respect follow and apply the tasks that are mentioned during the following list.
- Make sure you can use a computer, your own Sony Xperia Z and your phone’s USB cable.
- From your computer temporarily disable any security program you are using – do that because antivirus and any other similar tool can interfere with the update operation.
- On your phone go to “menu – settings – about phone” and tap several time on built number – in this way you will gain developer rights.
- Then, access the following path “menu – settings – developer options” and from there enable the USB debugging option.
- Your device must be charged before doing anything else – it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure if the battery power is currently lower than 50% (if that happens, your device might get bricked).
- You must apply this tutorial only if you own the Sony Xperia Z as the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 firmware has been officially released by Sony only for the mentioned Android smartphone.
Update Sony Xperia Z with Official Android 5.0.2 10.6.A.0.454 Lollipop Firmware
- First, on your computer download the official Android update for your own Xperia Z – for the C6602 model go here while for the C6603 version access this page.
- Then, also download the Sony FTF update file from here and install the program on your computer by following on screen prompts.
- Now, copy-paste the FTF update file on the following path: “C:/Flashtool/firmwares”.
- Run the Flash Tool program on your computer.
- Load the FTF update package you want to flash on your handset.
- Click on the Flash button at the lower right corner of the tool.
- Make sure you’ve selected all the 3 options in the Wipe menu of the Flash tool and skip No final verification at the bottom.
- You will now be prompted to connect your smartphone with your computer; thus, turn off your Xperia Z and press and hold volume down button while establishing the connection between your devices (in this way you can boot your Xperia Z into flash mode).
- The Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware will now be automatically applied.
- When done, reboot your phone and enjoy.
That’s it; you have successfully manually updated your Sony Xperia Z with official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 firmware.