CyanogenMod Team announced that their second M build for CM10 Jelly Bean custom ROM has been launched and, if you're a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 user then you can use the instructions that I have listed in this tutorial to learn how to properly flash all the required files. This guide will help you update your device to the latest Android 4.1.2 AOSP CM10 ROM.
The new custom ROM brings you tweaks and improvements that should make your device work even faster. It doesn't bring any major updates so you shouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary. If you wish to install this CM10 M2 Jelly Bean custom ROM on your Sprint Galaxy S3 then you should first read the preparation guide below. You will learn what apps to use to backup your important apps and other data files.
Read the guidelines below and only after that you should move to the 'how-to guide':
- Install this CM10 M2 Android 4.1.2 ROM only on the Sprint Galaxy S3 model number SPH L710. Check the version of your device by going to the 'About device' option in the Settings menu.
- The ClockworkMod Recovery image should be present on your device. Also, the SGS3 Sprint should be rooted as otherwise you cannot install this custom ROM.
- Create a list of installed apps, backup SMS and the APN Internet Settings using these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that these apps will require root access.
- Sync your Contacts app with your Gmail.
- Use CWM Recovery, ROM Toolbox or the ROM Manager app to create a Nandroid backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- This second M-build of CM10 is not an official Samsung release and you will still have root access even after installing it.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you damage your device in the process. You should make sure that you know what you're doing. Do not attempt to flash the files listed in this post if you're a novice.
- Read the entire article and don't skip any steps that I've listed in the tutorial as that will result in a failed attempt of installing this CM10 M2 ROM on your Sprint Galaxy S3.
I think that these are all the general instructions that you had to read and now you should move to the how-to guide to learn how to properly flash this new firmware on your device.
How to update the Sprint Galaxy S3 to CyanogenMod 10 M2 Jelly Bean custom ROM:
- Download the CM10-M2 ROM zip from HERE. Download the latest release and save it on your computer's desktop screen.
- Next thing you need to do is to download the Gapps for Jelly Bean file from HERE. Get the correct file and not some other versions for Gingerbread or ICS. Place it on your PC desktop.
- Now you have to connect the smartphone to your PC via USB cable and transfer these files on its internal SD card. Disconnect the phone from PC after the transfer is finished.
- Power off the device and boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done if you press simultaneously the 'volume up' + 'home' + 'power' buttons at the same time. After the screen powers ON you can release the buttons.
- When you're at the main CWM recovery menu you can select 'wipe data/ factory reset' option. If you're already using a CM10 ROM then you can skip this step.
- Select 'install zip from sdcard' and then select 'choose zip from sdcard' option. Find the CM10 M2 zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the ROM is installed you should select 'choose zip from sdcard' again and then you need to browse for the Gapps zip and install it. Confirm the process.
- When both files were installed you have to return to the main recovery screen. Select 'reboot system now' and wait for your phone to boot into normal mode.
- The first boot process with the CM10-M2 ROM is now running and you should allow at least 5 minutes for it to complete. When the first boot is complete then you will be taken to the main Jelly Bean CM10 homescreen.
- Enter the Google Account details and take control over your phone.
That's it, you've successfully flashed all the files that you needed in order to get the CyanogenMod 10 M2 build, based on Android 4.1.2, for your Sprint Galaxy S3 smartphone.
Note that in case the device isn't going past the boot animation, then you should power it off completely and after that you remove its battery. Re-insert the battery and repeat the entire 'how-to' guide starting from step 4. Eventually you should manage to successfully flash all CM10 files.
If you have any extra questions, then you should tell us in comments and we will try to give a solution to all your problems. Also, remember that in case you cannot complete the update or you don't like this new CM10 release, then you should use the full backup ROM and simply restore it using the CWM Recovery or ROM Manager.