The Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OTA Update has been rolled out by Google for the 2013 edition of the Nexus 7 Wi-Fi and you can use this post in order to upgrade your tablet. This installation process can be applied only in case your tablet device sports the Android 5.0.1 LRX22C build.
This guide is destined to be used by users of 2013 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi that don't wish to wait on Google to release the Android 5.0.2 LRX22G in their region. Use this manual installation instructions if you wish to complete the update instead of waiting for the official OTA update roll out.
Android 5.0.2 LRX22G Lollipop update brings bug fixes and tweaks that should make your tablet much more stable than before. Check the guidelines below starting the installation process below:
- use this process only with the 2013 Edition Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi tablet.
- do not try to update any other different Nexus 7 tablets with the files that you will find in this post.
- your Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi device has to be on stock Android 5.0.1 LRX22C build for this guide to work.
- you cannot flash this new Android 5.0.2 build over an older Android 5.0 or Android 4.4.4 build.
- check your tablet's OS version under Settings> About Device.
- create backups for all your most important data that's stored on your device.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- in case the Developer Options isn't appearing under Settings, then you should un-hide this menu first.
- go to About Device> tap 7 times on Build Number section in order to make Developer Options menu appear.
- go to Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- use the guide only if you are an advanced Android user.
- you can't blame us in case you end up losing any data files in the process nor in case you end up bricking your tablet.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the tablet from powering down during installation.
- read the entire tutorial and make sure not to skip any steps that are listed below, as you will then end up bricking your tablet.
Since you've read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash the brand new Lollipop OTA Update build for your tablet.
How to update 2013 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi to Android 5.0.2 LRX22G Lollipop:
First thing that you need to do is to setup the Android SDK for your computer, so that you will manage to send new files to your tablet via "adb sideload" commands.
- download the Android SDK bundle from here.
- create a new SDK directory in the C:/ partition.
- it will allow for easier access.
- extract the Android SDK zipped contents in the SDK directory.
- launch Android SDK exe from the SDK folder.
- confirm the installation of all SDK packages and drivers.
- now you should install / update the Google USB Drivers, too.
Make sure to setup the Android SDK and Google USB Drivers above before continuing to the next part of this post. Note that without that you won't be able to connect your device with your PC, which means that the update cannot be completed.
- Download the Android 5.0.2 LRX22G OTA zip file form here.
- After the download is finished you should rename the file to 'update.zip'.
- Move the 'update.zip' file in the 'platform-tools' folder under the SDK directory.
- Switch off the tablet now.
- Boot it in Recovery Mode.
- Select 'apply update from adb' option from the Recovery Mode menu.
- Connect your tablet to your computer using the USB Cable.
- Open the 'platform-tools' folder and launch a Windows Command Prompt Window or a Terminal screen for other OS version.
- Check to see if the tablet has been detected by your PC:
- enter adb devices command in Command Prompt.
- if there is a string of characters listed, then your device has been detected by the computer.
- if no devices are listed, then you should re-install the USB drivers.
- Start the Android 5.0.2 LRX22G Update installation process for your 2013 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi using the following command line: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm the installation process and wait until all the Lollipop files are successfully installed.
- After the installation is complete you can disconnect the tablet from PC.
- Reboot the device in normal mode now.
Note that the first boot process of this new official ROM might take a while before it loads all the new files. Use the comments field below in order to ask for extra help.
In case you end up repeating the whole guide, then you should make sure that your tablet meets all the requirements listed above the tutorial.