The CyanogenMod team has surprised everyone today when they've announced that the CM 13 Nightlies are now live for the I9100 Samsung Galaxy S2 phones.
This new custom ROM is based on the AOSP Android 6.0 builds, but you will find tons of extra new settings and features added by the CyanogenMod team. You can learn more about their work here.
If you are looking to install this new CM 13 Nightly custom ROM for your device, then you will have to be an advanced user and you know what you're doing. The CM 13 builds are in no way final releases which means that you will find some errors and bugs while testing them on your Galaxy S2 phone. Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below.
Use the tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 model.
Do not attempt to update any other different Galaxy S2 models with the files that you will find in this post.
Your Galaxy S2 device has to be rooted and it should be running a custom Recovery that's based on CWM or TWRP versions.
The installed custom Recovery has to be updated to its latest build, as it will need to support the new Android 6.0 Custom ROM installation.
In the tutorial part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID BACKUP, and the Factory Reset ones. Do not skip those steps.
The NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your Galaxy S2 device.
The 'factory reset' process wipes clean the system memory partition and it removes the old ROM completely from your phone allowing your Galaxy S2 to boot in normal mode with CM 13 ROM.
Factory Resetting your Galaxy S2 won't delete any data from internal nor external storages. However, you will lose all the installed apps data.
If you need to save any data from installed apps, then you should use the Helium tool for Android.
This guide is destined to be used by advanced users only. We cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
Check your phone's battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the phone from powering off during installation.
Continue installing future new CM 13 builds using the CyanogenMod Updates menu from under Settings> About Phone.
How to flash CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightly ROM for I9100 Galaxy S2:
- Download the CM 13 zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0 ROMs from here.
- Move both zip files to Galaxy S2 internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from PC.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power, all at the same time.
- release the buttons when the warning menu appears, then press Volume UP to confirm Recovery Mode boot.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that's already present on your device:
- for CWM-based Recovery select the 'backup and restore' option.
- for TWRP select 'backup'.
- select the files you wish to copy and confirm process.
- Now you can factory reset the device:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe' option.
- Start CM 13 installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install' option.
- Find the CM 13 zip and confirm the flashing process.
- When the new ROM is done installing on your device you can flash the Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot your Galaxy S2 in normal mode after all the new files are installed.
NOTE: the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
Use your default Google account in order to regain control over your Galaxy S2 and its new CM 13 functions.
If the first boot process of CM13 Nightly takes too long to complete, or in case your device enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole installation process more than once.
If you repeat installation, then you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps. Use the comments field below if you need any extra help completing this guide.